Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 100 steps?  (Read 1620 times)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
100 steps?
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:17 am »

Just how long is 100 steps? I'm trying to make a pressure plate trigger (linked to a perma system) to raise a bridge. How far away from the bridge should the plate be? I don't want them to trigger it, and proceed to walk across the bridge before it closes...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 100 steps?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:43 am »

I think 100 steps is 100 presses of whichever key is binded (usually the period) to move one step/frame when you have the game paused.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:09 am »

I could be wrong, but I believe steps are calculated by your framerate.  So, at 100 fps it would only take one second for the bridge to raise.  Although the mechanic steps might be different.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:54:12 am »

A healthy, unencumbered dwarf (or goblin) with no agility boost traverses 10 tiles in 100 "steps".

A goblin with a single agility boost (the most a non-squad leader is probably going to have) traverses about 11 tiles.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:03:00 am »

Ouch, that far huh? That's a lot of response time...

The perma system has no lag at least right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:36 am »

What's a perma system? I haven't messed around with pressure plates, so...

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10:49 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pressure_plate#Permanent_Effect_Pressure_Plate_System

Though you will need to design your own reset button... Mine involves 2 pumps and a gear, and needs to be powered... Or just use dwarf power, but I don't trust my dwarves to be punctual...

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:53:11 pm »

Depends on your pressure plate.  "On" signals are sent immediately, "off" signals have a 100 frame delay.  Thus, if your plate is set to be on with 0 water and off when the water hits it (like if you're trying to close a door), you still have a delay.  If it's hooked up to a floodgate, you get a double-delay.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!