Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: O, Motivation. How I Yearn for Thee.  (Read 1487 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
O, Motivation. How I Yearn for Thee.
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:41:05 am »

Gaaack.   

Right, so here's the deal...   As some of you may know, I haven't updated Sandy Fjord in quite some time.  I also haven't practiced on my guitar or sold my dad's stuff on eBay either, but that's a different matter altogether.

I really, really need to get the rest of that story off my chest.  The emptiness is hanging over me like some big, empty...  thing.  And stuff.

Furthermore, the reunion party is in early January, and I find it hilariously unacceptable for it to still be incomplete by that time (not a hugely strict deadline it may seem, but look at how much time I've blown off already).

But I'm not doing it.   The greatest surge I had was quite some time ago when I managed to inject two posts into it.  I really, really hoped that I was getting back into it, but obviously I wasn't.  Instead, I've been playing NOTD servers in Warcraft 3 (Corporal rank in Aftermath, woohoo), plus some Caravaneer.

Obviously, I need motivation.  And, just as obviously, I don't have that much of it on hand.  I suppose this is just some pathetic little squeak for attention, and maybe a few crumbs of praise while I'm at it.  But honestly, I'll take whatever will get me back to updating it.  So I decided to ask for help from the ever-useful community, oh great and wise oracle that it is.

Honestly, does anybody even read that thing anymore (well, obviously not, it's been dead for months, but you know what I mean)?

'ELP ME YOU SODS!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: O, Motivation. How I Yearn for Thee.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:48 am »

I thought it was charming, and that you'll hate yourself for the rest of your young adult life if you don't finish it.

But that's just because your making such a big deal out of it. Otherwise, you'd probably get along just fine.

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:42:32 am »

I believe I will do everything eventually if it's benefical for me. Motivation is just a thing that makes you do things now, not just before deadline, It's nice thing to have, but also quite useless.
Don't fight against being unproductive and lazy! Embrace it!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22:56 am »

Dude, I've been meaning to update this thing since MAY.  Lack of motivation has seriously and possibly irreparably damaged my personal character in several other things in life, too.  The last thing I need is to embrace what has been eating my life away for years.

Also, "charming" is what you say about a dog that has vomited on your carpet.   I don't think I've heard it used in a non-sarcastic capacity for several years.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:36:54 am »

Start drinking 5 double espressos in the morning. You'll wake up, at least.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 12:31:21 pm »

I'm not sure what Sandy Fjord is, as I've never taken the time to read it, but as a person with motivation issues every day, let me give my one and only real thought.

I assume that Sandy Fjord requires some deal of writing, and what I do for writing is to just start writing, even if I feel like crap. Hopefully, I get caught up in the moment, and I get the motivation to write whatever it is I'm writing.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:15:36 pm »

what I do if I don't want to finish something is think about doing something worse, like cleaning out my dog's fenced-in area or the dishes, or the university paper or going on a date with that god-awful women who's been stalking me since junior high, after I'm done mentally torturing myself I have all the motivation in the world, cause I'm actually just procrastinating about something wayyy worse.
Nom nom nom