Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priority Tasks  (Read 1035 times)

FallenHero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Priority Tasks
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:21:00 am »

In most of my games I like running a "tidy" fortress. Meaning that I don't like to leave stone/ore sitting around waiting to be taken to a stockpile. However, I would prefer a dwarf to mine when I ask him to.. then pick up the stone/ore when there are no mining tasks to be done.

So here is my proposal:

You allow the player to set a dwarfs "priority" task. The dwarf will automatically complete all of the available jobs in it's priority task.. then start on any other tasks that have been turned on for him to do.

IE: A dwarf has Mining, Stone Crafting, and Stone Hauling turned on.. with Mining set as a priority. When there is a mining task to be done he'll continue to work on them until there are no more to complete. Once there are no more mining jobs, he'll work on stone hauling/stone crafting at his leisure like normally.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Priority Tasks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

There already is priorities, but none that the player can set.

Im sure the top prioritized tasks are; Mining, Fishing, Planting seeds/Herbgathering.

So if you want that craftsdwarf/farmed to get anything other than farming done, I suggest turning off farming, because he'll always do that until he runs out of tasks to do, or gets interrupted.

I learned this the hard way with my own main crafter.

FallenHero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Priority Tasks
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

hmm, my miners still wonder off to do other tasks. Regardless of what tasks they have "open."

It's not a huge problem at first, as you said it's fairly easy just to turn off the task you don't want the dwarf to perform and turn it back on later. However, when you have 100+ dwarves running around it gets kinda difficult.