Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i flood the world in magma?  (Read 2859 times)

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i flood the world in magma?
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:39:41 am »

And, how do i find magma!?

cause i wish to locate some, and pump it (heh, However you do that!) outside my fortress, me and my dwarves will be safely camped inside.

we shall engrave the very walls with the inner writings of our souls!!

AKA

Random dwarf thought beer was excellent
Random Dwarf ran out of beer
Random dwarf kills all his friends
Random dwarf kills himself

but srsly, i do want to try and make a self sufficent, booze powered fortress, while flooding the rest of the world (and the undeserving creatures that inhabit it) in glorious magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: How do i flood the world in magma?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:17 am »

Um... have you actually played this game yet?   nm...

Wiki: "Your first fortress".

Then "magma" and "pump".

Have fun, don't burn down the world.  8)

Braddles!?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:25:30 am »

I have, its just, i only read the pages that involve whats actually happening to me at that moment.

the first fortress guide is very useful ^_^, i used it to get my fortress from "What fortress?" to "glorified dwarf hovel" status (statuses are made up)

i intend, for no real reason, to constuct a 50 Z level dining room. every level shall be engraved.

the engravings shall be many pictures of me flooding the world with lava,

I HAVE SPOKEN

lol, okay, it might be a *bit* smaller than 50 z levels...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:08 am »

I have, its just, i only read the pages that involve whats actually happening to me at that moment.

the first fortress guide is very useful ^_^, i used it to get my fortress from "What fortress?" to "glorified dwarf hovel" status (statuses are made up)

I can understand that some people want to 'learn while they play', like you do.
Also, if your new to DF, I can imagine the wiki being a bit MUCH info to read all at once, before starting to play the game.
Since you already looked at the 'my first fortress' guide on the wiki, you might want to try one of the dwarf fortress tutorials mentioned at the top of this forum subsection. They really help you get a feel for the game, and will reduce the number of questions that will arise when you play your own first fortresses.
Personally I like Tiny Pirate's Newby guide a bit better than Captain_duck's video tutorial. It has a very good dose of humor.  :)
for your convenience, here are the links:
TinyPirate's: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31928.0
Captain_duck's: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0
Also, welcome to the forums. And don't mind folks grumbling about too many posts. They mean no harm.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:52:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:08 am »

Finding magma depends on if you actually have any at your embark. Indicator rocks include Andesite, Alunite, Basalt, and Obsidian, if you've got a lot of them there's a chance you've got magma around. Finding the pipe itself is very hit or miss unless you can see the obsidian cap on the surface. Look for areas with dirt called 'obsidian pebbles', if you can't find one tough luck because it's underground. Strip mine one level at the bottom or very low on the map, if you don't run into warm stone you don't have a magma pipe.

You may still have a magma pool, but good luck finding that. If you're willing to cheat there's a tool called reveal.exe (google it!) you can use. Save before using it, as the game sorta breaks when you use it to reveal magma, glowing pits, chasms, or underground water and you won't be able to take advantage of the features by building magma forges. Then quit without saving via control alt delete.

Anyways, this is all moot as you need bauxite to flood the world with magma, provided you do have some. Look in sedimentary layers for it, such as chalk, limestone, or sandstone. You need to use the bauxite to make stone mechanisms that are magma proof. Once you've done that you can build a pump stack (dfort wiki it) to get the magma to surface level.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:54 am »

Wasn't this the Boatmurdered 'Fuck the World!' strategy? 

Back when BM was made, did lava stay around longer?  Because it seems to evaporate a lot faster than what the BM screenshots indicate it did back in the day.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »

Considering how slowly magma flows, 'fucking the world' tends to involve lighting plants on fire and letting that spread rather than using actual magma to kill everything outside.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »

First, the wiki is your friend, 99% of the time the answer to any question can be found there. That remaining 1% of the time is usually something specific with the game mechanics that isn't as clear as it could be in the wiki.

Second, as a new character with many questions, try to keep the questions to one thread. Not only does this cut down on clutter in the forum, but it gets more people looking at your questions.

Third, the walkthroughs help out alot. They cover some of the basics, like mining, fortress layouts, and job management. I went through half of CaptnDuck's youtube Dwarf Fortress Tutorial prior to starting my own.

Finally. To work with magma, you need magma safe materials (you can use the wiki to find out what they are) this will allow you to pump and stop magma as you need it. You can work with magma without using magma safe materials, but it is both complicated and full of FUN should something go wrong. Flooding the map with magma is inefficent. The magma itself moves too slowly to make it worth while, and if you do flood the map with magma, it will take a bit for it to evaporate. A better idea would be to set up a large trap in which you lure your enemies into it (typically by leaving a path to your front door open). When the enemy is within your trap, close up the exits, and pour magma into the trap itself. Its easier, faster, more efficent, and less cumbersome than flooding the map.

bonus points if you dump water on the magma turning it into obsidian and then carving out the enemy as statues.

+bonus points if you add crafted statues and make the trap your statue garden.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"