Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bauxite Question  (Read 1095 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Bauxite Question
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »

So I've started a new minimalist fortress.
Everything is wooden, above ground, except for a small farm and barracks. (before I had any wood)
The fortress is on a river cliff side, completely cut off from the rest of the map.

The cool thing is that everything is farm-able soil, and there is only bauxite beneath that.
I've dug a shaft straight down, to the top layer of bauxite, and dug out a single piece of it. (the remains of an up-stair)
I'm pretty sure it is in reach of the dwarfs, but they will not put it into a stone stockpile.
Also, the mechanic shop will not make a mechanism out of it.

Where is my super obvious mistake?

If you wish, I will upload my save, or maybe a map.

EDIT: Oops, my bad.
the last bit of stairs are going the wrong way, so now I have to channel them out and put in new ones.
Sorry.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Bauxite Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »

You will also need to go into stones on the z-menu and permit bauxite for general use, for your mechanic to make mechanisms.  Make sure all other stone jobs are on hold, and the bauxite is closest to the mechanic workshop.  Even then, you may need to queue up 2 or 3 mechanism jobs before he'll get the bauxite, as it seems like sometimes the mechanic will grab the stone that's closest to him, rather than closest to the workshop.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 12:45:48 pm »

You will also need to go into stones on the z-menu and permit bauxite for general use, for your mechanic to make mechanisms.  Make sure all other stone jobs are on hold, and the bauxite is closest to the mechanic workshop.  Even then, you may need to queue up 2 or 3 mechanism jobs before he'll get the bauxite, as it seems like sometimes the mechanic will grab the stone that's closest to him, rather than closest to the workshop.

Bauxite's not an economic stone.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

Thank you for the help!
I was starting to get ticked off again.
But I've added bauxite to the green list, and now he seems to be going after it.

Also, the only stone on my entire map right now is a single bauxite stone.
I don't think any of that other stuff pertains to me.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »

There are mods which make all stone economic, it helps with wall designation and making furniture out of a Dwarfs favorite stone.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:23:29 pm »

Whether you personally consider it to be "economic" or not, the vanilla 40d11 game has it on the Stones z-list, and it defaults to red.  Go and check.

I've also had stubborn masons and mechanics grab andesite from 200 tiles away from the workshop, even when bauxite is green, and in a pile right next to the workshop.  About the only solution is to either mass-forbid things temporarily, or queue up twice as many as you need and dump the ones made of crappy stone.  It gets annoying.  I guess locked doors will also work, but dwarves get unhappy thoughts if they're locked in for too long.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:25:36 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 03:40:20 pm »

Alternatively, once they are in the workshop with the bad stone, cancel the order, put in an order for what the other stone should be used for(Like blocks, you can never have enough blocks), and then put back your original order.

works 7 out of 10 times with my dwarves.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:01:50 pm »

Whether you personally consider it to be "economic" or not, the vanilla 40d11 game has it on the Stones z-list, and it defaults to red.  Go and check.

I suggest you go and recheck that you're actually using vanilla 40d11 - if you're using Mayday's tileset, you are not using a vanilla version, as that also includes the economic stone mod. Real vanilla 40d (and 40d16) does not include bauxite in the Z-Stones list.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

<nods>

zactly!

Whether you personally consider it to be "economic" or not

There is no "personal opinion" about this - "economic stones" are flux, obsidian, and ores - stones that can be used in ways other than generic stone.  Period.

(You can also think of them as stones with values over 1, but that's incidental.)

The fact that you can manipulate other, normal stones in a (modified) z-stones screen has nothing to do with it.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:27:16 am »

I've also had stubborn masons and mechanics grab andesite from 200 tiles away from the workshop, even when bauxite is green, and in a pile right next to the workshop.

This is how it works:

1. A job is queued up at the workshop.
2. Spores from the workshop float out and infect a dwarf with the right labor enabled, putting into his mind the idea to do that particular job.
3. He will fetch an appropriate, accessible, nearby stone (near to him!) and go to the workshop to work on it.
4. Job done!
5. If there's another job to do there, he's pretty close and will probably do the next job with the closest appropriate stone.. which will be the one you originally wanted.

This is also why, even with a bauxite stone pile and mechanic shop that is well away from the other workshops, you will occasionally get a Bauxite table or statue.. some dorf was passing the pile when he got the urge to make some furniture.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.