Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming and River banks  (Read 668 times)

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming and River banks
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »

Maybe I'm just dense, but I was under the impression that if there is no stairs or ramps then something can't get from a lower level to a higher one. In the presence of water, I'm having to reassess this conclusion.

Long story short, I found an underground river, crawling with horrible beasties. I started building a bridge across it then they somehow hopped onto the shore one level above the bottom of the river.

If a creature can swim, does that mean it can do this? Or is there some other tag. in retrospect, I believe some human invaders also pulled this off earlier in the game.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Swimming and River banks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »

Any creature with a level or 2 in swimming can do this, I believe.
I also believe the wiki has info on this, but alas, I could be wrong.
Dwarves can do it as well, they just have problems remembering that they are able.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming and River banks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »

They are able to do that because they are swimming, and the water's surface is roughly level with the ground, allowing them to clamber up.  DF is fairly realistic in ways.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember