Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Find animals in the site finder?  (Read 443 times)

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Find animals in the site finder?
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

Is there a way to check if a site has certain animals as well as environment features? Im planning a huge megaproject where every wall inside my fortress is made of glass, and 3 tiles wide with an empty tile in the middle for water. I want to have every single wall in my fortress to be an aquarium for the deadly deadly carp we all know and love. I did something similar with a giant turtle shaft through a previous fortress, but I wanted to turn it into a REAL megaproject. Anyway, given the amount of glass involved in building a giant tower of glass from the lowest to highest levels, I need to have at a minimum a carp filled river as well as magma, because the sheer amount of coal needed is going to be huge if I dont use magma everything. Anyway, all I need to know is if the site finder has any way to search for animals instead of going through each site. Or maybe I could generate a mini world specifically with all the big fish and magma for variety? I really have no idea how the advanced worldgen works.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Find animals in the site finder?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:11:32 pm »

You can't use the site finder to find animals, but you can use what biomes you see on embark to get a good idea. Like lions appear on tropical savannas, wolves appear in savage forests, etc.

If you want carp, you'll need to settle nearby a stream or larger, because a brook won't have any. The longer you go for, the more carp there'll be.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:04:13 am »

Keep in mind that (to my knowledge) new carp don't appear to replace old ones, so what's on the map when you arrive is what you get. Carp also don't breed, I think, and even if they did you'd be limited to 50 on the map at a time.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:15:35 am »

Keep in mind that (to my knowledge) new carp don't appear to replace old ones, so what's on the map when you arrive is what you get. Carp also don't breed, I think, and even if they did you'd be limited to 50 on the map at a time.

of course, you're assuming that he d oens't give them the
[liTTERSIZE] tag.