Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Easy and simple way to dispose of caged creatures.  (Read 1787 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
Re: Easy and simple way to dispose of caged creatures.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 05:14:42 pm »

What you're saying is if I built a cage somewhere, near the pit or not, and then assigned creatures to it after they've been caught in a trap they have almost no chance of escape.  Do thieves not escape as you take them out of the stockpile cage?

No, they'll escape if you do that.  You have to (b)uild the exact cage that has a critter in it.  Like, let's say you have a zinc cage with a goblin in it, in your Animal stockpile.

If you assign the goblin to a pit, he will escape.  If you assign the goblin to another cage, he will escape.  If you mark the goblin cage for trading, he'll escape.

You have to (b)uild the zinc cage.  Use V to see if it's the right one, you may have to build several zinc cages and then cancel some of them, if you have more than one zinc cage in your pile.  Anyway, then a dwarf will grab the cage, goblin and all, and drag it to that spot and set it up.  Once it's built, you can assign the goblin to another cage or a pit, and he'll be as tame as a leetle lamb.  You still can't trade him to the elves though, unfortunately.

I haven't seen thieves escape when doing that.  But absolutely any critter, including tame ones, has a very high chance of escaping if they're taken out of a cage that isn't built (either sitting on a 'pile, or deconstructed and awaiting hauling).  I've never seen an animal not escape, when taken out of a 'pile cage.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:10 am »

Umm...You should be able to just e(x)pand the list of cages and pick the exact one you need.

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:00:50 am »

Goblins are excellent spider-fodder, i imagine.

i plan on creating a silk farm by building a cage at the far end of a room attached to a lever, with a tame GCS or two chained near the entrance. put a goblin into the cage, and then pull the lever - hey presto GCS silk as the spider webs the hostile goblin who has just been released and is running for his life.

feed the spider one goblin at a time and then harvest the silk that erupts.

in fact, if you put a cage trap at the entrance to the room, you can recycle the goblin survivors.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 11:08:53 am »

If you assign the goblin to a pit, he will escape.  If you assign the goblin to another cage, he will escape.

In my experience, only the thieves do that. I can assign a stockpiled goblin soldier to a pit halfway across the map and they never attempt to break free.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 12:49:26 pm »

It's not entirely sure what makes a captured creature try to escape, but thieves are definitely more likely to try.

As for disposing of captured creatures, if you have magma, drop them in the pipe/pool, if not, drop them in any water(Ocean, river, or even a pool), and most will drown. Or just toss them off a high z level, just digging a few channels shouldn't be too hard.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 04:57:11 pm »

Umm...You should be able to just e(x)pand the list of cages and pick the exact one you need.

You learn about a new feature every day, thanks.

----------------

In my experience, only the thieves do that. I can assign a stockpiled goblin soldier to a pit halfway across the map and they never attempt to break free.

Dunno then.  My experience is, everything escapes.  A berserk donkey killed a couple dwarves one time when I forgot about that problem.  And one time a human caravan guard got knocked out on a cage trap, whoops.  I used the bug to free him; just assigned him to the kitten cage, and he merrily made his way back to the caravan (well, maybe not merrily, since he had no eyes, but at least he managed to not pass out on the traps again).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:59:03 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:04 pm »

just a question regarding a death pit.

I've got a pit that is open at the top, and is conneted to the surface via a door and a ramp (when goblins are in the pit the door is forbidden and I dont toss thieves down there.) the bottom floor of hte pit is an atomsmasher that is linked to a lever that is in a nearby control room. The idea was as my cages fill up, I dump the goblins items, and then dump them into the pit. Pull lever, and voila free cages for more captures.

Now the pit works, I can throw goblins down there, and they would technically be smashed by the atomsmasher but I had to move the lever and I haven't reconnected it yet. The problem is. when I order my dwarves to lob the gobos into the pit, they chunk the first one down there, then go to grab the second one. they look into the pit and they see the goblin there and go, "eeek goblin run!" and flee from the pit, even though there is no possible way for the goblin to affect them. How do I set it up so i can dump multiple goblins into the pit without my workers freaking out?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:39 pm »

just a question regarding a death pit.

I've got a pit that is open at the top, and is conneted to the surface via a door and a ramp (when goblins are in the pit the door is forbidden and I dont toss thieves down there.) the bottom floor of hte pit is an atomsmasher that is linked to a lever that is in a nearby control room. The idea was as my cages fill up, I dump the goblins items, and then dump them into the pit. Pull lever, and voila free cages for more captures.

Now the pit works, I can throw goblins down there, and they would technically be smashed by the atomsmasher but I had to move the lever and I haven't reconnected it yet. The problem is. when I order my dwarves to lob the gobos into the pit, they chunk the first one down there, then go to grab the second one. they look into the pit and they see the goblin there and go, "eeek goblin run!" and flee from the pit, even though there is no possible way for the goblin to affect them. How do I set it up so i can dump multiple goblins into the pit without my workers freaking out?

Build a bridge over the hole.  The dwarves will magically throw the goblins through it and never get scared since they don't actually have LOS to anything in the pit.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 05:34:19 am »

Or you just need a deeper pit.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:08 am »

I play the dark dwarves mod. I put the cage in the middle of 8 ropes holding beak dogs and just let em out. After that I queue up a bunch of make soulstone jobs. Works well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2]