Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Set forbidden zones  (Read 1127 times)

Vermadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Set forbidden zones
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:22:21 am »

Hello!

I'm playing at a map where there is  magma at the surface, which is great, but theres also a tiny water pond near, where all my fisherdwarfs want to hang out, which seems to result in this:

Since i dislike my dwarfs burning to death, so the haulies can pick up their corpses and also burn to death, is there any way at all to forbid them coming near?
Edit:
1 minute later, and i dont like where this is going

First time playing in a magma map, and i haven't even touched it and its screwing me over already , fun!

Edit2:
Awww, everything burned down.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:41:01 am by Vermadus »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Set forbidden zones
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:05 am »

should have pressed "o" and forbid dwarves from going outside
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15:03 am »

Or just designated one of the other pools as a water source/fishing (z -> w/f) and restricted the magma area (d -> o).

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:13:24 am »

The wonders of an open magma pipe/pool, most of the time this just doesn't happen because it's underground, but for now, a more permanent solution would be to make walls to block off the magma from the surroundings, there will be a lot less fires that way.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:30:46 am »

There is no way to forbid dwarves from entering certain areas, but there are several other things you can do.

First, type o -> F -> cio to set forbid on death. This will keep dwarves from rushing off to haul corpses.
Then spacebar back to the standing orders menu, and type z -> f to set zone-only fishing. Then designate a fishing zone over some safer pond.

Better yet, disable fishing on all dwarves and turn any fisherdwarves into haulers or something useful. Fishing isn't really that important anyway, and even without magma fisherdwarves tend to wander into all kinds of trouble.

You might also want to block off the entrances to the magma vent with a wall or a channel to keep imps from coming out and harassing you.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:04:46 am »

The best way after the fact is to do a d>b>f (I think) which forbids everything in the area.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 12:41:03 pm »

Note that Duuvian is talking about forbidding the items in the area; this will prevent your dwarves from going to pick up dead dwarves' remains or equipment. There is no way to say "Do not enter this area under any circumstances" without physically walling the area off (there is the "dwarves stay inside" order in the (o)rders menu, but that blocks off the entirety of the surface, including any aboveground buildings you have).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »

Whenever you see a fire imp, go kill him. Those little bastards are just magma-carp, kill em all!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »

Not that I like propagating my own topics, I think this thread may have some useful information for you.

If worse comes to worst, activate all your dwarves, make sure they're on duty, and station them where the fire has already burned. They can take a little trip through fire without igniting, but any prolonged period of time will have them running towards your booze stockpile while their pants are on fire.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 03:21:20 am »

Not that I like propagating my own topics, I think this thread may have some useful information for you.

If worse comes to worst, activate all your dwarves, make sure they're on duty, and station them where the fire has already burned. They can take a little trip through fire without igniting, but any prolonged period of time will have them running towards your booze stockpile while their pants are on fire.
and every other peice of clothing and every boody part