Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SVN Repository?  (Read 834 times)

Levi_Backgammon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
SVN Repository?
« on: September 12, 2009, 10:19:05 pm »

Depending on what Toady's wishes are, this suggestion may be considered pretty inconsiderate. Apologies in advance.

Some people might know about the Subversion repository system: A collection of files can be put onto a special server, from which many users can download in a special way that is especially suited for files that undergo many, many revisions, like DF. I've been looking at the development logs, and I'm fascinated. Perhaps if Toady is not against the idea we users can help set up a repository for him so people who wish to test the very newest features outside of official releases can do so.

The short version about why SVN is better than a plain download is because it's so convenient. The server tracks file changes and which files are changed, which translates to much, much shorter downloads and much, much easier updating. When you update, ONLY the files that have been changed are downloaded. Depending on what we'll be using this for, you may be avoiding 50-Mb downloads, instead just having to download a few hundred Kb. Users running a *nix system (Or a Mac) can simply type "svn checkout [url of SVN repository] [destination directory]" into the terminal and get the newest revisions, and updating is equally easy, simply type "svn update" when in the relevant directory. Worry not, Windows users, TortoiseSVN makes it even easier with a GUI, just right-click a folder and select "SVN Checkout" once you've installed Tortoise, enter the link, and everything gets done for you. Updating is similar, right-click and select "SVN Update". You can even update select files or directories, so for example if there was a userbase-created data repository you could get just a specific type of data or just update one file you needed.

What's everyone think?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: SVN Repository?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:05:05 pm »

A:  Toady would only be releasing compiled versions to the public, so I don't see how the downloads would be shrunk.

B:  During longer work cycles like this one, Toady pretty much guts the game into a mostly unplayable state while he tinkers with things.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 11:49:10 pm »

Agreed on both counts. Also, this save game might break save compatibility. I wouldn't want to have to have my save compatibility broken three, four times whenever I download almost updates.

Other than that, It's a really good Idea.

Other than that, it means that toady would have to spend extra time at the end of the mini updates, making it compatible with dwarf fortress. The more time it takes for updates to come out, the less I liek the idea. Sorry, I'm impatient at the least.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »

I'd like to see this, too, but seeing as how it's not an open-source project, it would probably not be a great move.  I'm looking forward to when updates can be more frequent, encompassing 1-3 months of work.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »

I don't really see the need for it to be honest.  The dwarf fortress install is only 5.5 MB, and that's the big version with the music.  It seems like it would be more a pain in the ass than just downloading the latest version.

While it would be interesting to look at the intermediate versions, they probably wouldn't be very playable. 

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »

What really would be nice is a GIT based version system for the mods. Things like graphics mods and custom creature/civilisations, etc. Done right and you could have a distributed system for auto installation of various adds ons for the game.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:43:14 am »

I do not like SVN.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »

There is already a git repository for battlechamps.
Computer says 'No'.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:28:57 pm »

how about a versioned repository for mods? that way you could still get those hilarious broken releses that i keep reading about without having to dig up old links. we could also do away with the annoing zip files.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz