Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Highlight notable characters in Legends mode  (Read 366 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Highlight notable characters in Legends mode
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:13:04 pm »

Idea spawned from a conversation in the "What turns you off about DF" thread -- http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34311.msg759844#msg759844 -- thanks to bloodnok for getting me thinking along those lines.

Idea: Make notable characters (rulers, leaders, megabeast slayers, influential diplomats/advisors when those arrive...) stand out in the list so you know who to look at to find interesting things. It would suck to learn about World War II by going through a list of 8000 notable, semi-notable, and not-so-notable Germans and their life stories until you finally found Hitler.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highlight notable characters in Legends mode
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:40 am »

I completely agree with the sentiment.  The only problem is figuring out which figures to highlight - just an arbitrary "has killed 20 other historical figures?"  I mean, wouldn't you rather have the dwarf highlighted who had been kidnapped as a child, rescued by his civ, then died in battle after killing the goblin that originally kidnapped him?  But how would you tell a program to pick stuff like that out?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:06:15 am »

Well we could do this by filters somehow. Say a filter for Civs, Nobles, famous guys etc. which if combined could give you the details you want to see and hide the stuff that is unimportant for you.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:34:26 am »

Doing this (I agree it's no mean feat) could make engravings more interesting too... Recurring dwarven heroes?