Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Stronghold  (Read 2286 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Stronghold
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 08:18:56 pm »

you might want to consider making your dwarves walk really fast and be able to walk through each other.
Oh, just teleport them. I'm half serious, BTW, it might take your dwarfs an hour, at most 2, to get form one end of the fortress stronghold to the other, and the game is deals with periods of at least days, why is movement even in there? Consider just factoring movement as overhead on dwarven productivity.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:59 pm »

I don't remember for sure, but I think that elf fortress was you can tell them to gather dead branches, but they don't feel like it because they slept on the ground, or you can tell them to build a sleeping platform in a tree, but it needs the branches they refuse to collect until they have better sleeping areas...

Of course, that is just going on memory of reading a summary of the game long ago...
Eh?
Eh!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:45:12 pm »

It's a joke game. You're given a bunch of elfs and the only structure you can build immediately is a tree bedroom or something. You build one in the trees, an elf sleeps in it and then immediately falls to their death over the edge.
I think some people claimed that you could actually get real buildings going by waiting till one of your elves became insane enough to become a carpenter.
I highly doubt it, every time you try to build a building other than the sleeping thingumy it says you need to build building X first, and you can always trace the trail of building requisites to a non existent building.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 12:54:14 pm »

It's a joke game. You're given a bunch of elfs and the only structure you can build immediately is a tree bedroom or something. You build one in the trees, an elf sleeps in it and then immediately falls to their death over the edge.
I think some people claimed that you could actually get real buildings going by waiting till one of your elves became insane enough to become a carpenter.
I highly doubt it, every time you try to build a building other than the sleeping thingumy it says you need to build building X first, and you can always trace the trail of building requisites to a non existent building.
I think it all came down to making a woodworker, because some building merely required wood and you normally couldn't assign someone as a woodworker because they were elves (I think it even said they're too sane to do that). I'm going to have to try and verify this insanity theory myself.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »

Does anyone have a link to said elf-based game?  I want to give it another shot.

Back on topic, is the main thrust of this clone just the UI?

biohazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 09:41:06 pm »

A fortress needs to deal with transportation, one way or another. I want to give the dwarves some decent intelligence so that forcing the dwarves to take the best route won't be such an issue. You'll be able to tell dwarves stuff like 'don't go here unless you have to' 'hey, guys, I need something done over here' 'NEVER SET FOOT ON THIS GROUND OR YOU'RE A DEAD DWARF'

that kinda stuff pretty much.

Elves have hijacked this thread. It's now official.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 01:33:40 am »

damn elfs
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne
Pages: 1 [2]