Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: get off the doomed square!  (Read 612 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
get off the doomed square!
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

i would like to see the dwarves gain at least enough sense to not stand in a row tearing out floor tiles out of a human apartment building.  if i have six dwarves tearing down a building, the least-gifted one will always go to the farthest square and SLOWLY do his/her job, finally getting stranded in the middle of the air when the faster workers remove the floor/wall between the idiot and the exit.

Toady, could you teach the dwarves NOT to stand on top of sqares designated to be removed?  please?

cause of unexplainable mischief

Delton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: get off the doomed square!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

If the whole floor is designated ot be removed - wouldn't that mean none of the dwarves could get to that square to remove it at all?

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

well, i only designate one row at a time so nobody would "logically" get stuck, but they still do.  i've had trench-diggers fall through their own-dug trenches to the z-level below and become stunned because they were too dumb to move off the square they were digging, and they stand in the same square and dig themselves into a floating island because they just won't move.

(granted, i've turned off cave-in's, but i doubt they would be any smarter if it was turned on, either.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Dwarves don't really use 'logic'.  You have to make sure that any channel tile has at least one free adjacent tile and that tile has to also have some sort of escape route.  This is also happens when building walls.  I have had many a mason wall himself inside a cavern or on the edge of a cliff.  Seems like there ought to be a way to have them do some kind of path check before building/channeling to make sure they will be able to get out after they are done.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

Build a big bridge over the floor segments before you remove them.
The wood will stay on the bridge and the dwarves will not get stuck.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Do diagonal patterns.  It's the quickest/safest way to channel a large area.  

For me at least  :D

Retro

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Retro42:
[QB]Do diagonal patterns.  It's the quickest/safest way to channel a large area.

Takes forever to designate, and the second pass you still have to do incrementally.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:55:00 am »

I recently had a miner clearing up the space around a stairway I had dug out.  Ahe was at the top level, when she channeled out a tile which was apparently the only thing connecting another tile to the staircase.  She was sucked in by the cave-in vaccum, and is not lying in a pool of blood and vomit with a mangled right arm.  She was promptly ignored by everyone else, and appears to have been forgotten entirely.

I was reminded of two important facts that day.  1) Diagonally adjacent tiles do not act as support.  2) Dwarves will, even in the safest possible situations, find ways of brutally injuring themselves and/or others.

Three important facts.  3) Healthcare is bugged.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

my first year dwarf liason decided to stand on the floor square my broker/miner was tearing out and drowned him/herself in the channeled-out stream i was tampering with.  i still got a whole bunch of immigrants soon after, though   :D  maybe he wasn't liked much at home.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

It would be nice if traffic management could force builders/diggers to stand where they will NOT get stuck. Pity it doesn't work that way. Last time I tried that with a floodgate, and sure enough, the builder stepped aside to the wrong side of the gate (even though I had made that side restricted traffic), ignoring the right side (normal traffic) and ending walled in. I had to link the gate and open it to let him out   :roll: