Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stone mining  (Read 1323 times)

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stone mining
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:19:24 pm »

Is there some easy way that I can reduce the amount of stone mined from rocks (particularly by a legendary miner) so that I don't get thousands upon thousands of rocks? I would like it if I actually did have basically demolish a mountain in order to build a huge castle.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: stone mining
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:56:19 pm »

Sadly, no. Either use low-skilled miners or "accidentally" flood the dig site with magma from time to time.

Unless you're mining Bauxite, in which case I'm going to need the world seed you used to generate a mountain of the precious red stuff.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23:01 am »

actually...

I believe if he modded certain stone to act like soil layers he could... It would of course have some side effects but...

The other option is modding all stones to have a boiling point of 0, Turn off temperature tracking...   Mine your area... and move your dwarves to a safe point, turn it on and they boil away... then turn it back off again.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:15 am »

I modded all the layer rocks (bar the flux and obsidian ones) to have a melting point of 0, this doesn't cause the freeze flash you get with boiling points and means basically your only rocks are the clusters you find in layers.

Seemed to work well.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:31:33 am »

You don't need to have the boiling point set to 0, you just need it set lower than the temperature of the map. This means that if you can find a temperature that boils the stone away but doesn't harm the dwarves mining it, probably something close to 10025 (about 14C or 57F) for most maps except the really cold ones (glaciers, tundra and taiga).