Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who else favors their modded races when dealing with them in Fortress mode?  (Read 496 times)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile

I added in a race of, essentially, smaller nerfed tentacle demons with SYMBOL selection to produce hilariously suggestive and twisted names (Petal Gulfslit is my favorite the game has produced).  Called the Arrkhals.  Even though I made them mainly as a race to play in adventure mode, I also made them come with a caravan every winter, and I've noticed my playing style in fortress has changed dramatically.  When the Arrkhal caravan shows up, I go "Yay!  It's the Arrkhals!"  I try to give them reasonable profits.  I offer generously to their leader.  I actually pay attention to the export agreements, and try to make the goods they want.  And biggest of all, the last year, a goblin raid took out one of their donkeys, and I just now returned everything the donkey dropped, free of charge (glad it wasn't red)!  I'd never do any of that for the dumb old humies, or dorfs, or filthy hippies.

I also think the dwarves are going for brownie points, as they've probably engraved more scenes from Arrkhal history than any other single topic.  The dining room has a friggin' epic poem in mural form, about an Arrkhal that killed a dozen named alligators, then was killed by another one, then was avenged by her son.

Everyone share stories about how a modded race popped up later, and managed to change your entire playing style.  I can't be the only one that treats their creations nice.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who else favors their modded races when dealing with them in Fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:21:43 pm »

Thats truly fascinating. This is just proof that half the fun of this game is the mods. I cannot wait to hear the stories that will stem from the new release. Its going to be awesome!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Who else favors their modded races when dealing with them in Fortress mode?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:39:19 pm »

CACTAUR!

That is all.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!