Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Statue-specific workshop  (Read 2153 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statue-specific workshop
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 11:44:02 am »

Wasn't Toady's "mind control" just a misnomer for micromanagement?

I don't much care for the notion of being forced to deal with random images in my projects. The dwarf is free to immortalize his bollocks in his artifact mug if he damn well wants to but he's not engraving whatever he wants in public space. It makes no sense, it's not his property. It's communal, you can't just engrave yourself eating cheese in what's supposed to be a hero's memorial!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:44:36 pm »

Yeah, what the last two posts said.  Engraving is a public project, and the same could be said for statues now that they have specific images.  Training engravers up to the point where they can actually depict a scene is still going to be a frustration, but at least smoothing uses the same skill.

I know this is getting off-topic, but using more than one concurrent wall/floor tile for a single engraving should be possible, so you get something more like a carved mural.  A single tile may be able to depict cheese, or a goblin being struck down, but a whole room could be used to depict an entire duel (or the birth of the cow who was milked to make the cheese, and the journey of the legendary milkers and cheese makers that contributed to the preparation of the cheese).
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »

maybe you can 'request' the dwarves engrave certain images, the same way you can 'request' the dwarves to make 30 statues; it would be part of the manager job.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 09:24:13 pm »

Oh, but sometimes it IS important what sort of crafts your craftsdwarves make. Mandates and all that...

It'd be interesting if, should a dwarf carve too many engravings that other dwarves don't like, said other dwarves might do something nasty to him. Could give more life to the justice system - which, far as I know, largely exists now for tantrums and mandates. Or passing dwarves could comment on the engravings, and the engraver could have thoughts (and a production shift) based on that.

I do think that only dwarves with particular personality traits should commemorate their own prior work.

Req567 talks about separating smoothing vs engraving. Perhaps smoothing could be a separate labor of the mining skill, and engraving and sculpting use their own (shared) skill.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:39:42 pm »

The dwarf is free to immortalize his bollocks in his artifact mug if he damn well wants to but he's not engraving whatever he wants in public space. It makes no sense, it's not his property. It's communal, you can't just engrave yourself eating cheese in what's supposed to be a hero's memorial!
Of course, if he wanted to do so in his own room, that's different.

Maybe a Z-button submenu to tell them what they can put down in random engravings in a given location (public space, owned room, self-owned room?) would be useful.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »

How about the engraver engraves somthing that is relevent to the room he is currently standing in.
So if he is standing in a bedroom that is owned by himself, he will engrave somthing he likes, if its someone elses bedroom then he engraves somthing they like. If its a tomb then it depicts scenes from that persons life. If its a public space like a dining hall or somthing then he engraves things relating to that, maybe historical scenes are somthing that might be a part of dwarven dining... Areas that have no designation would be just generic fortress symbols and shapes or somthing... This keeps it random but gives it some context.

Oh and there should be some limitation to the number of times a scene is repeated in a single room, however if there is nothing else to depict then you might as well have multiple copys.

Statues could be done in the same way, you first build a block in a position you want, and then engrave it as a second job and use the room its in as a context. And if thats not enough, I guess you should atleast be able to request general types of statue, like a bust, or historical scene, or statue of hero ect...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:38:05 pm by Seagoon »

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:36 am »

I Agree with seagoon.

If you designate a room first (and give it an owner) and then engrave it the dwarves could easily figure out the context of the room. After that it can be RAW'ed how a culture likes it's dining rooms, tombs, statue gardens, homes, barracks, etc. to be decorated.
For statues and future stuff like tapestries and paintings I think you should be able to commision new furniture for rooms/tiles, rather than only placing built ones. These statues can then be built context-sensitively.

In this case I don't think dwarves should get bad thoughts since they are just adapting their creation to it's future environment according to their own tastes. Though they might not like having to engrave cave spiders that they absolutely detest because everyone else wants cave spider engravings in their bedrooms.
Pages: 1 [2]