Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic-users in dwarf mode  (Read 960 times)

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic-users in dwarf mode
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:58 pm »

In the first Dwarf Fortress Talk Toady mentioned that there is a problem with implementing magic-users in a fort, and still keep magic mysterious. Problem being that a magic user might simply become a gold dispenser, or perform other stuff that might become mundane in the end through extended use, and knowledge of capabilities.

The solution, I'm thinking, might be to make the magic-user a useful noble-type inhabitant, beyond the control of the player, kinda like the dungeon master is currently. So the magic-user would decide when to use magic, and to keep it mysterious, he probably wouldn't do it all that much. During everyday humdrum, he might just produce useful alchemical stuff, lob fireballs at invaders, and other mundane magic (or maybe not, if you consider lobbing fireballs at invaders too mundane). But once in a while, he'll get mysterious. Maybe, when the fortress is starving, he announces that he will summon food for everyone, and does so. A one-time event, and something that you can't rely on. Maybe when a baby gets born, he blesses the child. Maybe when a large army shows up, he cracks the earth into a chasm which they all fall into. Maybe he demands steel and quarts, and withdraws to craft a magical axe. In the lifetime of a fortress, there might only pop up five of these events or something. With a large enough list, he'd always be able to whip out something surprising. Something.. magical  :)

There are some stuff which he can't decide on his own. Say, if he suddenly decides that he want to magically strengthen the fortress walls against siege engines. If he were to do that himself, he'd probably just end up enchanting the stretch of wall between the dining room and the privies or something. But in that case, you might have him ask you where (or whether) you want the stuff. "Sire, the fortresses' walls could bear strengthening. Where would you want me to apply my powers?", "Sire, I notice we have chambers on opposite sides of the bottomless chasm, do you wish me to craft a bridge of pure force?", "Sire, I have bound a fire elemental to my will. Which chamber do you wish it to guard?" Stuff like that.

Now, some of you might disagree with the magic I used in examples. Some might disagree that dwarves should have magic users. But this is about how to implement magic users, not necessarily dwarven ones. So even if you think dwarves shouldn't have magic users, would this be a good way to implement human and elven magic users (when we get to control those civilizations)?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic-users in dwarf mode
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:41:02 pm »

DEAR GOD, WHY COULDN'T YOU READ ANY OF THE OTHER SECTIONS ON MAGIC? ANY OF THEM!

/rant over slightly

Seriously, there are about a billion of them and you create one more sodding post about magic? The idea that you've suggested here has been suggested at least twice, incorporating elements of at least three more posts and it is entirely unnecessary to create yet another topic on it.

I'm usually a lot nicer, but failure to use the forum search, or willful disregard of all previous topics irritates me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic-users in dwarf mode
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »

As Rowanas screamed, yes, we discuss it a lot.  Not too many magic topics on top right now, but there should be a ton down a few pages.  Consider locking this one and reading through the other topics about magic, and then reply to those if you have something to add.  Necro'ing old posts is preferred to starting new ones about the same topic, as it makes it easier for everyone to check if an idea has been suggested.

Having noble-based magic in a fort is something oft mentioned, and I support it myself.  The degree of magic in fort mode is basically an entirely speculative conversation, because of how far off the magic arc is.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.