Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a new type of steel - Am I doing this right?  (Read 877 times)

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding a new type of steel - Am I doing this right?
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:43:12 am »

I've never muddled in modding before, but I wanted to make Damascus Steel based on this coming up in another thread. I currently have:

Code: [Select]
matgloss_metal:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]
[NAME:damascus steel][ADJ:damascus steel][COLOR:0:7:1]
[VALUE:30]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL]
[DAMAGE_PERC:166]
[BLOCK_PERC:133]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]

reaction_standard:

[REACTION:WOOTZ_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:smelt damascus steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:HEMATITE]
[REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]
[FUEL]

but I'm not sure I have the tokens right, and don't want to gen a world until I get it right.

Also, do I have to add these things to the default .raws or is there a better way to separate them?
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a new type of steel - Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:03:19 am »

You can put the metal entry in a new matgloss file, and the reaction in a new reaction file, so long as you follow the format used by the default files (filename at top, [OBJECT:MATGLOSS]/[OBJECT:REACTION] below).

Otherwise, it looks like it'll work.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:09:45 am »

The main problem I see is gameplay balance.  You're making wootz steel very easy and very fast to make.  The historical Indian wootz making process was harder, but there's no good way to implement that in the game.

I'd make it so that the wootz steel reaction more similar to the regular steel one, but using glass instead of stone for flux (which basically is what the glass was for), and it would produce fewer bars than normal (also reasonably accurate, since the wootz making process would remove a significant number of impurities which would otherwise be in the steel).  Dwarves could discover wootz steel making their own way, no one says they have to copy the Indians.

[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GREEN_GLASS:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]

So that way, you can make only 2/3rds as much wootz as you could regular steel.

You should also make the value mod of wootz higher, maybe 50.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »

Thought behind balance is basically that Hematite ore is always less plentiful than magnetite, so even on a map with a ton of iron most of that will be magnetite. The size of hematite veins also makes them harder to find without using reveal. I suppose I could tame the damage vale to 150. I'm also not sure if removing normal stone flux from the process would be unbalanced - I'd like to be able to produce wootz steel on maps without flux, but again, balance. Perhaps:

[REACTION:WOOTZ_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:smelt damascus steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]
[FUEL]

Losing a full bar of iron would mean even if you had an abundance of hematite, you'd still be losing quite a bit of material, and if you don't have flux it would be a good reason to make due with iron armor.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »

I couldn't really remember if it was hematite or magnetite that's the common one.

1 hematite + 1 iron + 1 glass + 1 carbon = 1 or 2 wootz seems reasonable, though.  It's also fairly historically accurate, as wootz steel would often be blended in with other iron/steel, as that would generally not dilute the vanadium and tungsten enough to lose the wootz properties.

Also, on the subject of flux, remember that flux stones can be imported cheaply and easily from the dwarves, but sand is still unimportable.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:52:08 pm »

In order to have a 33% chance of getting a second bar, would that be

[PRODUCT:133:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]
or an additional line:

[PRODUCT:33:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:WOOTZ_STEEL]
As for the value mod, I don't like having this metal worth more than platinum and aluminum. I'll probably up it to 35, but not higher.