Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: He put up a legendary fight  (Read 1659 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
He put up a legendary fight
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:48:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A noob marksdwarf just wrestled a bronze colossus from dabbling all the way to legendary, before dying in battle.

You are getting a hell of a tomb.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: He put up a legendary fight
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:14:17 am »

That'd be like one of those duels you see in epics, where they fight for years. One-on-one.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:27:05 am »

That's pretty crazy. I didn't even know skills could go up that fast.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 03:14:11 am »

Gahhh, I just lost the dwarf who actually killed the thing to sparring *facepalm*

Damn legendary armor/shield/wrestler/axedwarf dies sparring...

I turn invaders on, and within less than a season I lose half my military without fighting any other civs -.-

Anyway, made a tomb out of platinum walls/floors and put the bronze statue in it.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:37:28 am »

I've seen it happen, like once. In my case, it was a wrestler (civilian activated into the military for "all embark dwarves dogpile the threat and cross your fingers" defenses) against a zombie marmot. He got caught outside and went to sleep, and eventually got dogpiled himself by marmots... but the damn things couldn't hurt him. Not only that, but he couldn't kill them either, zombies being surprisingly resilient when it comes to strangling attempts. Net result: he spent the entire "all embark dwarves sleep at the same time" cycle wrasslin' dead rodents until one of his buddies ran out with an axe and killed them all in like two seconds. By that time he was past Great in wrestling, so I made him a full-time military dwarf, running around on patrol killing zombies constantly. He passed Legendary wrestling and had started working on axedwarf when he got caught in a gobbo ambush and killed in something like two hits (no armor).
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:00:58 am »

Yea, not much can survive a gobbo ambush dogpile.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:11:38 pm »

a great alternative to the embark wrastlin dogpile. when "preparing for the journey carefully" give each dwarf 1 rank in swords dwarf and upon arriving making 7 obsidian swords. alot more effective than trying to strangle a zombie that does not breathe.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:49:15 am »

a great alternative to the embark wrastlin dogpile. when "preparing for the journey carefully" give each dwarf 1 rank in swords dwarf and upon arriving making 7 obsidian swords. alot more effective than trying to strangle a zombie that does not breathe.

A zombie hoary marmot isn't exactly dangerous, an unskilled swordsdwarf could easily kill it. Especially with a weapon as freakin overpowered as an obsidian short sword.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:35 am »

A zombie hoary marmot isn't exactly dangerous, an unskilled swordsdwarf could easily kill it. Especially with a weapon as freakin overpowered as an obsidian short sword.

Monomolecular blade, biotch!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »

I just got attacked by a dragon

I just remembered, megabeasts are still size 50,000. That explains a lot.

I think that the size bonus in combat is capped, because my 3 champions killed it easily but it still weighs 25,000,000 pounds.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:49:08 pm by AtomicPaperclip »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

At that size, it shouldn't be taking any damage at all, and should oneshot your dwarves no matter what.

You might have overdone it and its damage/block went into the negatives.

That or your data/objects needs to be cleared.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:41:54 pm »

not to mention it was 20 miles tall.... probably died of asphyxiation.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »

Or his organs collapsed.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:08 am »

well im talking more about zombie trolls and the like.