Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Health and disease prevention: Soap, tea-tree oil, medic  (Read 918 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Health and disease prevention: Soap, tea-tree oil, medic
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

So, once disease or other maladys are put in, I think the alchemists shop should finally become useful. Here's some things I'd like to see:

Soap- The dwarf takes 1 unit of soap and goes to the cave river, spends a little while, and prevents disease for a certain amount of time after cleaning themselves. Maybe immunity to disease for half a season. (I'm not sure how many "days" go by in fort mode).

Tea tree oil: this could be extracted from outdoor-only plants (thus can't be farmed, only harvested) and doesn't require the dwarf to go to the cave river to use. An application of 1 unit would also prevent or cure disease for an amount of time. (tea-tree oil in real life is often rubbed into the hair to kill lice and bugs, and has anti-fungal properties.)

Splints: made in carpenters shop. Applied to a dwarf with a yellow or red limb injury, and speeds recovery.

Cloth bandage: woven from plant fiber at the clothing workshop. Applied to any torso or non-limb injury to aid recovery. It would be used on injuries that the splint can't help.

I imagine that the bandage and splint would simply be placed in the sick dwarf's inventory, and that would count as being "in use" on them while they go about their business or lie in bed. Then, once healed, it would become XXmangledXX and need to be chasmed like other XXclothingXX.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Health and disease prevention: Soap, tea-tree oil, medic
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

"Tea tree oil is also effective for treating insect bites, boils and minor wounds. It has also been known to help sooth sunburns, poison ivy, ear infections, and bee stings."

Cave Spider bites?

"According to advocates of alternative medicine, lavender oil can be used as first aid and to treat a variety of common ailments.
The diluted or undiluted oil may be used as an antiseptic and pain reliever to be applied to minor burns and insect bites and stings. For the treatment of sunburn and sunstroke, 10 drops of oil can be diluted in 25 mL of carrier oil. (Note: This is not an effective sunblock.) When added to chamomile, lavender oil may be effective on eczema."

Sunsickness and releaving pain from wounds?

"Eucalytus oil has been demonstrated to be capable of reducing inflammation and pain. It has also been found to be able to kill leukaemic cells."

Also a pain reliever and antiseptic?

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

Clove oil is a good pain reliever. It numbs the area. Escpecially useful for tooth aches.  don't know if tooth decay will be added as a disease though.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

Dwarven Dentist:

"Hmm, looks as though that tooth is rotten.  Don't worry, I'll install a steam-powered one."

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

I recently read a book on the poorly understooddr. Semmelweis, and it got me thinking for a use for soap in DF.
Soap could ensure a safe delivery of pregnant wodwerf (is that the term for female dwarves?) Dwarven midwives would be most relieved to have a supply of fine soap. Before Semmelweis, (and for quite some time after his death in asylum, as his idea did not immediately catch) the mortality rate of mothers from childbed fever was in the range of 10-35%, due to failure to recognice the importance of simple hand hygiene among physicians.

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

quote:
Dwarven Dentist:

"Hmm, looks as though that tooth is rotten. Don't worry, I'll install a steam-powered one."

I think you mean " "Hmm, looks as though that tooth is rotten. 12 Hammerings oughtta do it."

Seriously, I'm willing to bet that the Dwarf medical system is a complicated system of savage beatings.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

Whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger, eh?