Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Selective breeding  (Read 1198 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Selective breeding
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

Wow, that is going to lead to some very strange, confusing stuff.  I hope there will be some pretty easy way to see the family trees of critters/players and the known traits of their relatives.  Hopefully it will be something of a balancing act to breed multiple traits, for instance you might have to sacrifice speed for aggresiveness, or strength for loyalty, unless you had just the right parents.

Also, the traits should not be obvious except to a skilled trainer/breeder, so an inexperienced dwarf would have to observe a specific animal for a long time to figure out that it seems a little stronger than its siblings.  Things like speed could be easier to spot than say, toughness, which you wouldn't notice until you saw that animal take a beating.  This would put a little more guesswork into it.

It would be nice to breed for size, too, though I don't know if the current size system would allow for dogs that are only a hand or two taller than the others (or "toy" breeds for pets). Fur colors/patterns? (Gimli likes dalmations for their spots.) And what if you could breed dogs that were ferocious, but therefore harder to control?  Where even "tame" dogs might refuse to follow a dwarf, or sometimes bite a dwarf it didn't like.  This would allow for captured wild creatures to gradually become easier to tame and handle, til you have a nice docile breed for pets and zoos. Of course when it comes to magical traits, who knows what they might do.

Come to think of it, I might have more fun breeding cool animals than mining and forging.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

WoW! Crossbreeding sounds very interesting. Maybe it should be implemented when the magic system is in the game.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »

yeah, i can see the Bronze Titans now.  or Dwolls and Dwagons. Giant Elven Cockroaches?

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>yeah, i can see the Bronze Titans now.  or Dwolls and Dwagons. Giant Elven Cockroaches?</STRONG>

Dwagons? *shudder* think of the splinters!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

lauging. out. loud.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Surma:
<STRONG>Dwagons? *shudder* think of the splinters!</STRONG>

Okay, that made me chortle.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

Just waiting till giant zombie mammoths get added.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Then i you could get the old simlife favorite the monkeyphant!!!!!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 [2]