Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thief Game project (includes textwall)  (Read 2005 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Thief Game project (includes textwall)
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:45:21 am »

So, I've had a game idea burbling and simmering for a while now (see bottom). I doubt it would ever see the light of day in my own hands alone, since it's a bit ambitious to start off making games with.

It's a sidescrolling, sometimes platforming (not crazy Mario blocks though) game about being a thief. As someone in a livestream channel so accurately put it, the basic concept is to "Run past the traps, grab the idol, and run out". You will proceed through the environment, and try to accomplish your objective unnoticed. I couldn't decide how much I wanted to mix the stealth/combat/platforming, so I decided you should play as three different characters, a modern cat thief (who is, yes, quite gentlemanly), a cold-war era spy, and a ninja. So you'll fight, evade traps, and try not to set off alarms. It would be a linear game, focused on good GMing, as it were, rather than open-worldedness. But before this gets too long, I'll just say that the below mostly-finished document does a decent job describing it, and I'll answer any questions. Is anyone interested in maybe taking this up?

Spoiler: Design Document (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Thief Game project (includes textwall)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:00:55 am »

I have a bit of an engine that sounds similar to what you want:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44319.0

Unfortunately, it is written in C and openGL, and therefore might not be the best option.
Eh?
Eh!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
My reply: A catchy counter-proposal.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:27:27 am »

A pretty good start.
Everybody wishes they could just write descriptions, and draw pictures of game windows,
but you're going to have to get your hands dirty.
People don't usually enjoy making other peoples games, unless they have some sort of incentive.

I like the idea though.
I would probably play as Rigby the gentlemanly thief, as he is closest to my heart.
Nothing like burglarizing the living catlights out of old people.

I would love to see this come to fruition.
Games aren't super hard to make.
There are only like 6 concepts to learn,
and then you have what it takes to make any game.
The little tids of specific information can always be google-searched.

Here is a good way to get started:
- Get a copy of Code::Blocks
- Make a mini-project game using only Cin and Cout. (Any decent tutorial you find will teach this first)

Learn about while loops, if statements, and arrays.
With those 3 tools at your disposal, you can start throwing together a game.
Am I forgetting any? (Ignore switch-case and for loops, you can learn those later)

The jump from a non-graphical program to a graphical one isn't so large.
For example, my game was being programmed in pdcurses at one point in time,
and two hours later it was in full 3D.

If you focus you could have this thing in a finished state a month from now.
Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:45:30 pm »

Instead of making the ninja faster, I'd suggest making his running quieter.  That way, you can sprint around and go in for close-up kills.  If you get around to implementing this, be sure to include W/A/S/D controls along with arrow keys.  It's a much easier scheme for those who use the mouse with their right hand.  For melee attacks, a key might make more sense than left-clicking (and it would allow you to, say, butt someone with a gun instead of shooting them).

It's extremely unlikely someone will take it up.  Most game development proceeds because the developer is so personally invested in the game.  If you know any programming at all, you could try to find a good platformer library, which would get most everything gameplay-side out of the way.  If you don't know how to program... I'm so sorry.  Seriously, though, I'd suggest Game Maker.  It's a little cumbersome at times, but it makes for a good introduction to design and programming (you can opt to use code blocks or you can actually script things yourself).

EDIT:  A bit of personal experience - platformers are a bit difficult for a beginner since you have to understand a lot about implementing physics in a game setting, and they take a lot of sprite to not look like squares jumping on squares.  But like I said, platforming engines/libraries are common since games like Mario and Sonic are so iconic.  Stealth is another story.  You have to either cut corners or do some serious thinking about how gameplay will work and how perception works.  I think some people like the passive, wait-for-guard-patrols style stealth gameplay, but I find it extremely annoying and the mark of a poor or lazy developer.  Either way, I've never seen stealth done all that well (probably because I avoid the genre like the plague), and it's something that you would have to completely design by yourself.  Platformer-shooters aren't uncommon, but they also tend to look kind of silly.  Since it sounds like you don't intend platforming to be pixel-perfect, zooming out the display to show more of the level would look nice (and it would make animating much easier).  Then the player could actually shoot over long distances, and they wouldn't have to memorize the levels to keep from barging into a guard's LoS.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:02:59 pm by Bricks »
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:21:41 pm »

I think if he were to do it, the best inspiration would be the Metal Gear series.
Thief isn't so bad, but it got pretty tedious pretty quickly.

My favorite unconventional stealth system was Morrowind.
It was so fun to run up the stairs and snatch everything out of sight.
Even if you had to sneak up the stairs in order to do it, it still would have been awesome.
Especially with wandering guards in most places where there were valuables.

There is one thing I really really like about that game.
There were so many damned items. You actually develope a familiarity with the game items.
I could identify limeware the second I walked into a room.
Also, the ever elusive "vase" was worth 14 gold.
In the very early game, that was a nice prize to find unguarded.

EDIT: I've always thought that vase was redware. Anyone know for sure?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:53:25 pm »

No way to tell without an image. I spent a lot of time modding Morrowind, so I might know exactly what model it uses. But after a while, you start to notice some being re-used (not that they don't have a huge library of models).

Anyway, like I said, I can see myself programming a game, but not anything this complex to start out. And yeah, I can figure out a stealth system myself, as well as do art clear enough for placeholder.

So, what's the plausibility of doing this through a program such as XNA, as opposed to just C alone? I don't have much experience with either. And I've worked with Gamemaker before, I thought it was sort of a weak system if you didn't know any coding (which I realize I'd have to learn). And how hard is it to port something to the xbox with XNA? I would imagine not that hard, but when I see some of the extremely simple games that have been done by non-professionals, I wonder how much effort is involved.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 10:47:15 am »

From what I understand, XNA is only for C#, but I haven't looked into it recently, so you can't take my word on it.  That being said, I have a book a friend got me that I have yet to really read through, but from looking at the examples, the only difference between a game written in C# with XNA for the PC, and the same game written in C# with XNA for teh Xbox 360, is that the computer version uses keyboard and mouse input, and the Xbox version uses the game-pad (and maybe rumble).

I may actually have to try C# and XNA once I finish my current project... looking through the book, it looks pretty simple, all things considered...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.