Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inn, tollbooths, and charging for services  (Read 1184 times)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inn, tollbooths, and charging for services
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

With the new migrants and seamless maps coming up, I'd like to be able to charge them for using my precious beds and roads.

Of course, this requires that migrants run around with money, and that the game figures out an appropriate cost for the services.  Even if they're set by the player, the migrants have to figure out whether the price is worth paying.  Room and board would be easy enough, though, since there's already code to figure that out, even if it is just a placeholder.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Inn, tollbooths, and charging for services
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

Hmmm dwarfs starting cheap motels....I like it.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Sort of a "Motel 12" if you will? =)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

You'd need to either standardize money, or have a noble capable of exchanging it. Since as I understand it different civs use different currency.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Exchange rates are not even fair at all! I trade gold for less gold everytime... so not cool!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

One thing all kingdoms have in common is that they trade using coins of different metal. Generally speaking, Copper-Silver-Gold. The coin is stamped with the markings of wherever it was made. Coins are honoured in the kingdom they are made and in neighboring areas. If you go to far you will have to exchange currency.

What if we made it so that traders of all types prefer to pay someone with his native coins. So lets say you ran an inn and human travelers payed you with human coins. The next time a human caravan pulls up to the fortress you spend the human coins FIRST, and make up the remainder in dwarf coins if you have to.

If you are selling something to the humans they would also pay you with any dwarf coins they have first.

Of course the dwarves also use electrum and platinum. Im not sure how those would work seeing as dwarves are the only ones with access to those metals. Let me give it some though...

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

How much freedom will these bands of riff-raff have?  I am not sure I want some freeloaders mucking around my hallways, eating what they want and sleeping where they want.  Even if they've got the coin to pay.  If they aren't citizens and I can't put them to work, they gotta hit the road.

I definitely want the Fortress Guard to have some serious eviction abilities.  By force.

Could we get a mechanism for designating a creature as "hostile"?  If some human is in my fort and won't leave, I'd like to [v]->[p]->[X]Declare as enemy.  With all the violent consequences that would entail.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

Geez, that has to be one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

Perhaps the whole "player isn't present" abstraction could be replaced with "the player indirectly controls the highest-ranking dwarf", such that even your own dwarves could be marked as hostile, which could cause mass unhappiness (think Tropico).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

You can get credit for an assist JT, partly inspired by your idea about denying immigrants.

And more inline with the original topic, senseless bloodshed might be averted if inns could be designated for visitors while the rest of the fortress was designated off limits to vagrants.  Err, visiting humans I mean.  I just got riled up imagining humans having the run of the place without doing anything productive.

But the senseless bloodshed ought to still have a place, an option anyone of us might be tempted to resort to.

[ June 06, 2007: Message edited by: slMagnvox ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 02:33:00 am »

The discussion around Bloat31 involved such a designation.  I think it came out of Demon (an early playtester) becoming displeased with a diplomat.  This included not informing them about your traps, which you currently do automatically.  There was also an option to designate them as somebody worth attacking on sight.  The notes also ask... "Is this dwarfly?"  Perhaps not, but our dwarves seem to incinerate people they don't like.

Setting up inns and tolls and so on would be a welcome break from all this violence.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 04:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There was also an option to designate them as somebody worth attacking on sight.  The notes also ask... "Is this dwarfly?" Perhaps not, but our dwarves seem to incinerate people they don't like.</STRONG>

One more thing I'll add, your combat model is much more satisifying than incineration.  And, arguably, more dwarfly than sneaky floodgates and omni-lock doors.

Fight or flee, but you are not welcome here!

It might be exciting to work the other way too, with the occasional vagr .. visiting human suddenly declaring your dwarves as his enemies.  Just for the excitement, of course.

quote:
Setting up inns and tolls and so on would be a welcome break from all this violence.

Oh right.  Sorry.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>
Setting up inns and tolls and so on would be a welcome break from all this violence.</STRONG>

You could turn the rooms on the inn to death traps by flooding them on night and steal all items the travelers had.

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

quote:
With all the violent consequences that would entail.

misread this as "With all the violent consequences that would entrail." XD

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...