Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers not getting booze?  (Read 576 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers not getting booze?
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:39 am »

As per the title. My longtime soldiers "can't even remember the last time [they] had some" alcohol, and even the fortress guard are starting to show signs of alcohol withdrawal.

I've told them not to carry water, but time keeps ticking by. Will they eventually booze up again? Do I have to dump the contents of each one's waterskin first, or will they automatically get booze the next time they're thirsty?

For that matter, what are the ill effects of soldiers who don't get alcohol? Do soldiers ever go on break, even?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers not getting booze?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:06 am »

Usually its due to the fact that they have full waterskins and need to stop drinking the water in it. Try marking the waterskins they're carrying for dumping, maybe it'll work then.

Dwarves who drink no alcohol work slower, and have worse moods.

And you do _NOT_ want a champion going berserk in your fort.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:48:28 am »

Normally I wouldn't bother with waterskins period. Unless you're on a large map and like to use roaming patrols to catch invaders instead of chaining sacrifice warning animals, your dwarves should never be too far away from a booze stockpile.

Of course, the downside to this is that if the squad leader decided he wants some booze in the middle of a battle, all his soldiers will follow. Subdividing the squads into smaller ones alleviates this though, my current fort has 14 soldiers (half the population) divided up into 7 different squads. Makes coordinating combat difficult but less frustrating then watching civilians be ripped apart while your multi-legendary hammerdwarves sit there waiting patiently for their captain to get boozed up.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:15 am »

Generally, if I find a squad's bunked off for booze or to sleep, I rotate the leader. Also, I keep a booze-and-prepared-meal stockpile near the gates for squads on guard to use, set to top up from the still/kitchen output piles.
As a result, my soldiers get to do their job and are the happiest dwarves in the fort, apart from the rain and sun. This is because of the mortality rate should I get a particularly nasty siege, like human bowmen on horseback with a bow-armed local leader.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:47 pm »

Generally, if I find a squad's bunked off for booze or to sleep, I rotate the leader. Also, I keep a booze-and-prepared-meal stockpile near the gates for squads on guard to use, set to top up from the still/kitchen output piles.
As a result, my soldiers get to do their job and are the happiest dwarves in the fort, apart from the rain and sun. This is because of the mortality rate should I get a particularly nasty siege, like human bowmen on horseback with a bow-armed local leader.

Three words. Orbital Magma Cannon.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325