Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road traffic.  (Read 1858 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Road traffic.
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:53 am »

At the moment, embarking on a road gives you nothing besides a lot of free blocks.

Forts built on roads should see a flow of traffic passing through, and possibly bringing in some business.

(an army that's just passing through would probably like to buy lots of booze, or might pillage a bit, depending)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Road traffic.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:04 am »

This idea is quite nice.

Maybe you could even assign beds to be used by travelers? Those guys might stay and sleep some days in your fort and they would even eat and drink something.

They might pay for it with crafts or, after the games handles coins better, with coins.

FrostGiantsDaughter

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:51 am »

Yeah, maybe you could do an Inn/Tavern?

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

I tried to play like this once. I was going to build a roadside trading post built to look like a motorway service station. It would have been fun a fun project even without travellers to use it, had the starting seven not all gotten killed trying to penetrate the aquifer.

Given the way that most players around here think, there will need to be a way for travellers to start realising that the road has suddenly become very dangerous. Roads ought to be more than just a way for the player to get their hands on a huge risk-free supply of bone bolts.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »

This has been suggested many times, and if you'd read the dev plans, is one of the goals.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »

Like to see a Dwarven Fortress dedicated solely to Highway Robbery. By flooding roads with magma.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Trafalgar

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Yeah, escaped lunatic about sums it up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:32:55 am »

Like to see a Dwarven Fortress dedicated solely to Highway Robbery. By flooding roads with magma.

How would that work? They would just...go around.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:25 am »

When Toady implements actual world traffic rather than just caravans that spawn at the map's edge when the game needs them, caravans, army groups, wanderers and whatnot will probably appear on your game map when they pass through the area.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:03 am »

This has been suggested many times, and if you'd read the dev plans, is one of the goals.

sorry, I tried searching, but all I found was one suggestion from 2007 that got no replies