Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Secritive mood Metalsmith ignoring available materials  (Read 785 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Secritive mood Metalsmith ignoring available materials
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:28:06 am »

My metalsmith is in a fey mood, demanding shining metal, shining metal, rough gems, shining metal, not far from a stockpile of some 200+ metal bars, mostly copper and iron.  He sits in his forge ignoring it.

No mods, pop cap set to 30, invaders off, map revealed.

<_< not a huge issue since I'm just building someplace fun to explore, but it's irritating all the same.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Secritive mood Metalsmith ignoring available materials
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:23 am »

Since its a secrative mood it could be basicly any gem and metal types that hes after so i suspect that the things he is after are not what you have. Secrative is the worst type of mood because of how each indicator covers a large amount of subtypes possible.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:05:22 pm »

Can secretive moods be after a specific type of metal, like tin or gold?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »

Rough gems could be raw glass that is to be a rare wish for secretive Dwarfs
Back to Mafia with me!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:01:34 am »

That would be an entirely different issue, then, since I have no sand.

Since demanding lots of "shining metal" and in a forge instead of a jewelers shop or glass furnace, I'm assuming that the first ingredient for his artifact is metal, rather than glass or gems of some kind.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 05:11:23 am »

It does them in order (iirc), so look at what comes up when you look at him first. And no, raw glass is a separate message. "raw...green"(or clear or crystal) rather than "rough...color", according to the wiki

...er..."glass" rather than "rough gems". Different message anyway, I was just looking at wrong column.

On a lighter note, copper and iron aren't that shiny. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:41 pm »

Someone in IRC had a similar issue the other day. His particular problem was solved by smelting more iron, since the dwarf seemed to want more than 1 of a specific type of bar (usually they only want 1 of any kind of material per decoration on the item). How many materials has he collected so far? Perhaps he wants more of the same kind of metal that you had in short supply and that he's already picked up (for instance, gold or aluminum bars you bought from a caravan)?

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:42:14 pm »

Check his material preferences - I believe that dwarves may sometimes insist on having a type of material they like in their artifact. For example, a dwarf who likes silver might not take a copper bar.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 08:14:28 pm »

oddly enough i have never had a "Picky" dwarf. they only take items that I have owned atleast once for me.
Back to Mafia with me!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:51 pm »

I actually encountered a variant of this once while attempting to steer a mood toward a specific metal - instead of going into Z-Stocks to forbid each type of bar, I used d-b-f to forbid the entire metal bar stockpile, and even after unforbidding the metal I wanted him to use, he wouldn't touch it. Turns out dwarves won't take materials out of a forbidden bin.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.