Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mordor: Depths of Dejenol  (Read 10732 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Mordor: Depths of Dejenol
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:15:33 am »

So I have the game, and finally managed to get it to run on my Vista computer, does anyone else have it?

The game's a graphical roguelike, you dungeon dive, head back to town, dungeon dive some more, repeat. It's a lot more fun than it sounds. You choose a race and alignment (Determines what classes you can choose and your starting/maximum base stats) and head into the dungeon to collect stuff and try to reach the bottom. You start as a level 1 "Nomad", but can eventually become all classes in one (If your race/alignment allows it). Currently, I'm running a Good-aligned Human Nomad/Sorceror/Mage, I probably should add warrior or seeker to that eventually.

Dying is a pretty minor setback at the beginning but increases as you go deeper. It takes longer to find your corpse (You age, possibly several years depending on how deep you are), lose some gold (It's free if you have none), and possibly lose a point of Constitution. However, unless you do something extremely stupid (Teleport or Ethereal Portal into solid rock) your character doesn't suffer too much. There *is* permadeath, but that only happens if you die of old age; which isn't that much of a problem if you're playing a long-lived race. The game's also moddable (Fan site), and it also has that old game charm (Circum 1995)

You can create multiple characters and band them together as a group. The shop and explored dungeon persists between characters, and you can freely exchange items and gold between them, so starting out will be hard, but gradually gets easier after several characters. The only limitation is that good characters cannot group with evil ones.

Now, I'd like to post a link to the full copy that I have, but I'm still a bit conflicted on whether it's allowed. From last I heard, the company that sold the game went poof, the company that the creator of the previous company made went poof (And left Mordor 2 unfinished), and the creator allowed the creation of the fanmade "MordorXP" (Unfinished). AFAIK, the game's classified as abandonware. Any ideas on this?

I had to disable Vista's UAC in order to get it to work, but I believe it has few issues working on XP and Win7 users can run it using Virtual OS or something.

The demo link. The demo limits you to the first 3 dungeon levels, but they're still quite substantial.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:23:48 am by Blaze »

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mordor: Depths of Dejenol
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

I have this and Demise, but this doesnt work on my 64 bit machine, and I am too lazy to do a virtual machine. Its a great game, Ive played it for hundreds of hours.

Protips: Beware of the Munsae's on level 3. You will learn to fear the SHIT out of them. *Hit, drain random stat. You miss, they hit, drain random stat, proceed for a VERY long time. Die a little on the inside*.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is also a HUGE difficulty leap from 2-3 and 3-4.  Also, create a Giant with maxed STR, DEX, CON, and give him a few levels in warrior. He will be your tome hunter, and dead char retriever for the first couple of dungeon levels.

Ninja's are MONSTERS in this game, well worth the time it take to train one.  A dedicated thief is MANDATORY. Dont multi class him to anything that uses other spells. Also, on Braindeads Mordor site there is a wiki with ass tons of helpful, if spoilerish info on there.

Edit again: If enough people get into this, we should start to do challenges like they used to do on the Braindead forum. That forum is quite dead so it would rock if we could get something rolling. Im installing XP on here just to play this game. haha.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:34:27 am by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »

Eh, I hate Purple Oozes more than Munsae, Amulets of life are pretty easy to acquire and you can just hightail it if you run into Munsae. Purple Oozes will paralyze you on the first hit, stunlock you, then slowly poke you to death, destroying your equipment all the way.

I've seen P. Oozes show up out-of-depth as early as level 2.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:30:38 pm by Blaze »

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:36:59 pm »

Yeah, ooze's are brutal, even the lowbie ones, as soon as they start spitting on you, they kick the shit out of you. So, I just finished installing win xp on virtual box, but I installed M2 with the full 15 level hack, so Im runnin this one. Its pretty much the same game but with pictures for most things an the dungeon is a bit different, while still remaining similar to the old one, which leads to the awesome feeling of exploration! :D
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »

Heh, sounds fun. If there was an easy way to get this running on Win7, I'd love it.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »

Virtual box will work if you have 64 bit. It SHOULD work on 32 bit, might have to brows the braindead forum.
For 64 bit versions, Im about to test this out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If it works, Ill let you know, otherwise just use Virtual Box, and it works just fine. But you need an iso of Windows XP.

There is only a 3 level demo that is free and Im not sure if its actually for sale anymore.  But resourceful people can still obtain the full version. I have a no install of it when Braindeads site offered it before Decklin picked up the IP from the original owner.

This is the forum.
http://mordor.uni.cc/forum/

Edit: Works just fine on Xp Mode for windows 7, just download and install the stuff in that link, restart your pc, and fire it up. Its a lot better than Virtual Box.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:13:00 pm by Grishnak »
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »

Mordor is pretty cool, but pretty much a treadmill.   It lacks a lot of typical roguelike 'problem solving', and mainly comes down to being prepared for monsters, traps, and all that.  It's more like Might and Magic than roguelikes, I'd say, and benefits from being played in that style.

braindead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:59:00 am »

Just wanted to say that the fanpage about Mordor had to move to a new url, it's now reachable only via http://www.dejenol.com

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

Ahh good, I was wondering what happened to it! Thanks Braindead. :D
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel