Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you plan out your megaprojects?  (Read 1112 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you plan out your megaprojects?
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:17:23 am »

Do you export the images and play with them in Paint? Do you print them out and draw on them? Do you simply get on with it?

Tips, tricks and strategies for planning out megaprojects, go!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: How do you plan out your megaprojects?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:22:38 am »

Plan? PLAN!?!!? What is this undwarvenly thing?

I never plan them. They just happen.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:45:36 am »

I never plan them. They just happen get half way before some major, yet unforeseen, flaw means all the dwarves end up in a tantrum spiral or bait for carp riding orcs.

Fixed :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:43:31 pm »

I plan in my head, I've tried the paper route and it just wasn't worth it.  I tend to having my forts being build in a similar way (Same shapes and an empty z-level between every layer, The Pillbox design I call it) And I just add plumbing and the sorts where needed without altering the main fort levels to badly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:33:33 pm »

I just go with it.

And said major unseen flaw DID cause a tantrum spiral, but I was able to stave it off by mustering a fortress guard, making a legendary dining room, filling every square foot of one mountain with coffins, etc.

I lost about a hundred dwarves, but now I've gained about a hundred and fifty since then. No harm, no foul.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »

Being my first MP, I had to plan; see the front page of my project to see how much went into it. Courtesy of Lego™.

Some minute adjustments had been made to work with the site I chose. Plus, I needed a guide to work with to properly build from. Seeing as I'm building the skeleton, THEN the rest of the ship.

Makes it all the more fun to work on it. And I think I stripped the land bare at least twice working on it. Sheesh.

It doesn't help that I accidentally found the HFS in my location using VF either. So... tempting.