Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A swarm of flies in Lava?!?!  (Read 2718 times)

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A swarm of flies in Lava?!?!
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

I've killed the imp with blunt weapon and it flies and falls into magma vent. Now he's corpse is rotten and there is a swarm of flies sitting on it! In lava!!! Fireproof flies it seemed!   :eek:
he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A swarm of flies in Lava?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anjey aka PM:
<STRONG>I've killed the imp with blunt weapon and it flies and falls into magma vent. Now he's corpse is rotten and there is a swarm of flies sitting on it! In lava!!! Fireproof flies it seemed!    :eek:</STRONG>

a) You do have temperature turned on, I assume?
b) I'm at work so can't check the raws, but perhaps flies and maybe other such vermin don't have the tags set up to take damage from extreme temperatures.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

temperature is on as was by default
he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

Evidently they're fireflies.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

PA-DUM-PISH!

Seriously, that was a good one.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Casting Necromancy because I have this occurring as well

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

It's a swarm.

Vermin swarms are generated without temperature data, therefore they're immune to burning.

If you were to somehow disturb the swarm, you'd wind up with a whole bunch of !!fly!!s.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Someone-else

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Had this thing too. I made pretty big magma pool using ramps to form upside-down pyramid. I didn't knew that ramps provide no support, and my miners got crushed. Cave-in finished my pool nicely, so I just let the magma flow in after grating the channel. Flies attracted to rotting corpses survived, and final effect was line of 5 swarms of flies floating in magma above the grates.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

This happens a lot - even when there's nothing dead in my magma.  There's an inordinately large number of flies and a few other vermin types inside the slowly-filling magma tunnel. It's not the presence of a liquid, because they aren't in my water tunnels.  

My suspicion is that they're attracted by the melting stone - it could be that it's an object that's wearing and they think it's rotting, or it could be because molten stone is of type "glob" just like fat.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

No wonder things rot so quickly. These badass magma-flies could probably eat up a corpse in a few hours.

This also might explain why throwing flies can kill people- These aren't your normal flies...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:23:41 am »

Still happens, but I had something to add since I spotted blood gnats/flies at it-

They think they CAN get blood from a stone. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:00:27 pm »

This is a known bug.  Unless someone has a revelation about an underlying cause or whatever, we can probably leave this poor ancient thread to rest in peace.

# 000513 □ [dwarf mode][creatures]   flies swarmed around a rotting corpse in magma

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:50 am »

Well, at least for the corpses, afaik vermin don't interact with the environment at all aside from where they swarm (flies for decaying objects) and generally where they should be (e.g. near magma pipe for fire snakes).

So, my conjecture is that they swarm ANY item that is marked as decaying, like molten stone- since they, like blood, etc. get "cleaned up" (except they don't, see bug #000595).
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:10 am »

I had a cardinal and a toad in my magma moat for years until a tantrum spiral left my fortress as a giant crater.

They outlived my dwarves
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"