Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Add notes to OBJECTS  (Read 829 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Add notes to OBJECTS
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »

Sorry, but the other thread was closed.

We can add notes to a place, but not to objects. Would be nice, but low priority atm. You could add things like "This sword was used by the late Urist Longshanks to kill two dragons and a Titan. It was recovered from his drowned body at the bottom of the well."
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add notes to OBJECTS
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:05:13 pm »

I like that... (Especially if the notes on objects carry over to actors and can be viewed in legends mode)

OOOOH, and also tagging critters across multiple adventure games... even to the point where if one kills a PC, the notes mode (which is OOC) is where it's stored...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:12:55 pm by Granite26 »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:26:45 pm »

Cool, another thread about this only slightly different.

Anyways, I think the idea is that the in-game history tracker will do this for you.   I don't really see the need to be able to add notes to every facet of the game.  While it might be trivial to add, it's sort of a low content bloat, easily replaced by having the player use a pen and paper in meatspace.

Edit:  Not to mention that it breaks narrative immersion if you want it in-line with an item's description.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:30:27 pm by Capntastic »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:44:41 pm »

If you do it right, adding notes to EVERYTHING isn't harder or more complicated than adding notes to ONE thing...

I'm thinking that you're right about the immersion breaking... that's why allowing the players to put the note in a separate field is cool

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:06:46 pm »

Mostly referring to the first two posts talking about notating the item's history, and it being integrated to the world's legend history.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »

Mostly referring to the first two posts talking about notating the item's history, and it being integrated to the world's legend history.

You don't think it would be cool to be able to tag a note on a critter saying 'This is the guy that killed me', at the end of an adventure mode game and then go and look him up?

Or be able to add notes to your dwarf in the fortress and have those notes available to you later when you look him up (as a separate issue, the immersion thing could be solved by putting the 'gamey' things (like PC kills and members of a player fortress) in a separate tracking system from the legends mode.)  I want to know who the Titan has killed, but it would be interesting to find out how many of them were adventures, sidekicks, and dwarves from a fortress, without breaking the smooth narative style that exists in legends.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »

Once legends mode has context sensitive coloring and wiki-styled links, you'd be able to click on your last adventurer, click on the titan who killed them, and then check out the list of their doings.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 03:33:06 pm »

On a similar note... Why not have descriptions of base materials be somewhat moddable? That way people don't have to look up what a specific stone looks like online.  You could also add in descriptions of types of objects as well.
That way instead of
Code: [Select]
Iron Spear
This is an iron spear.

You would get something like this:
Code: [Select]
Iron Spear
This is a spear.  It is a long, thin pole.
One end flattens into a short blade suitable for piercing attacks.
This material this spear is made of is iron.  The metal is for the
most part shiny and gray.  It is very malleable, and wear and tear
will more often cause things made of it to bend or dent rather than break.
Parts of it where exposed to the elements corrode into rough, brittle rust,
adding a dull reddish color to it. 

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:04:04 pm »

Because descriptions like that are already planned.