Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom workshop: Bauxite-only mechanisms and floodgates.  (Read 2814 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Custom workshop: Bauxite-only mechanisms and floodgates.
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:44 pm »

Made this because I was tired of dealing with dwarven stupidity with building materials.  Now rather than walling them into the bauxite deposits, you can simply order your mechanics to do their thing with a stone that's actually fit for the purpose.

This shop only produces floodgates and mechanisms, and only out of bauxite.  Both use the mechanics skill (I was lazy, didn't want the masons and mechanics to be fighting over shops, didn't feel like making two buildings, and it kinda makes sense anyway).

All non-job-related attributes are copied straight from the soap maker custom shop, so it won't look like a mechs shop either.  Shortcut is capital B from the workshops menu.

I'll probably add a mason's version later for floodgates, grates, blocks, hatches, etc, but I won't have that much free time for a week or so.

Add these to reaction_other.txt:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BAUXITE_MECH]
[NAME:make bauxite mechanisms]
[BUILDING:BAUXITE_SHOP:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BAUXITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BAUXITE]
[SKILL:MECHANICS]

[REACTION:BAUXITE_FLOODGATE]
[NAME:make bauxite floodgate]
[BUILDING:BAUXITE_SHOP:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BAUXITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:FLOODGATE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BAUXITE]
[SKILL:MECHANICS]

Add these to entity_default.txt under entity:mountain:
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:BAUXITE_SHOP]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BAUXITE_MECH]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BAUXITE_FLOODGATE]
Add these to building_custom.txt:
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:BAUXITE_SHOP]
[NAME:Bauxite workshop]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:3:3]
[WORK_LOCATION:2:2]
[BUILD_LABOR:MECHANIC]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:' ':' ':150]
[TILE:0:2:' ':' ':'/']
[TILE:0:3:'-':' ':' ']
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:' ':' ':'=']
[TILE:1:2:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:1:3:' ':' ':150]
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:2:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:2:3:' ':150:' ']
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:150:' ':8]
[TILE:3:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:3:3:' ':240:' ']
[COLOR:3:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:3:0:0:0:7:0:1:0:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Custom workshop: Bauxite-only mechanisms and floodgates.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »

Actually you can link these reactions to standard mechanics workshops I think.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:43:13 pm »

Kitchen, Smelter, and Kiln seem to be the only vanilla workshops that can have reactions added to them.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »

Kitchen, Smelter, and Kiln seem to be the only vanilla workshops that can have reactions added to them.

Good to know. Too bad though. mechanic's workshop has just one vanilla task.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »

Two, it also has traction benches.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:17:30 pm »

What if you built a custom version of the mason shop, and then fill it with spam reactions to make blocks out of each individual type of stone?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:55 pm »

Easy enough I suppose; just a lot of copy/pasting with minor edits or some Excel trickery.  That's what I'd really like to do actually.  Does anyone know if it's possible to use a material list with item type submenus like the forges use?  Or is that a different class of job than reactions?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:21:03 pm »

Try these. They should be in the mechanic's shop. Don't forget the entity tags.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »

[BUILDING:MECHANIC:CUSTOM_M]
There's no MECHANIC building.

What if you built a custom version of the mason shop, and then fill it with spam reactions to make blocks out of each individual type of stone?
Possible, but why? To get some project made of similar blocks?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a material list with item type submenus like the forges use?
Impossible. It's a hardcoded menus. Too bad you cannot do the same in other workshops.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:40:28 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a material list with item type submenus like the forges use?
Impossible. It's a hardcoded menus. Too bad you cannot do the same in other workshops.
Such a shame. Good reason to cheat for metal bars, though: custom-colored megaprojects. When microcline gets old, make a ten-story rose gold temple with bismuth bronze furniture!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:23 pm »

I took it off the end of a string dump string, HOTKEY_BUILDING_WORKSHOP_MECHANIC.
There isn't a KITCHEN building in the dump either, so I assumed it would work like tallow.

EDIT: ok, sorry. I saw used a text search and didn't find any capitalised KITCHEN, so I assumed they just weren't listed. Just replace mechanic with smelter or a custom workshop then.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:07:57 am by Keuran »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »

I recall seeing that we can order mechanisms on the forge in this version. So yeah. Iron mechanisms.

Edit: Not only I recall, but i just checked. Forges now have the "construct mechanisms" command under trap components (checked for iron). The reaction was completed too, I didn't get my smith crying for rock bars.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:30:34 pm by Djohaal »

Also, tadpoles.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:09 pm »

I took it off the end of a string dump string, HOTKEY_BUILDING_WORKSHOP_MECHANIC.
There isn't a KITCHEN building in the dump either, so I assumed it would work like tallow.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/String_dump#Section_24

That is the section of the string dump where people are getting the information that KITCHEN, KILN, and SMELTER are the only hardcoded workshops that can have reactions added.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »

By the way, bauxite isn't the only magma-safe rock anymore.  I've been fine in my fort with orthoclase doors and mechanisms; check the wiki for the whole list.

One could just add [REACTION_CLASS:MAGMA_SAFE] to those stones, or maybe use [MAGMA_BUILD_SAFE] in the reaction...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »

By the way, bauxite isn't the only magma-safe rock anymore.  I've been fine in my fort with orthoclase doors and mechanisms; check the wiki for the whole list.

One could just add [REACTION_CLASS:MAGMA_SAFE] to those stones, or maybe use [MAGMA_BUILD_SAFE] in the reaction...

Be careful with the wiki list, some materials on it have lower-than-magma temperatures (specifically, Nickel Silver was on the list a day or two ago, but has been removed because after checking the raws, it's not magma safe).  If you're worried, check the [MELTING_POINT] tag, it should be over 12,000 for it to be magma safe.