Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why does this magma pipe show up somewhere else when I load the same world...  (Read 580 times)

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With a different game?

I genned a lovely site as seen in the top half of the pic with chasm, magma pipe, funpits, sand, underground river and cold climate but saw that the funpits contains swimming fun when I wanted appendage fun. So I decided to remove the [DEFENDER] tag from Flaming and Swimming fun so that all the funpits would only have appendages. I regen the world, but going to the same site it looks like the top half of the pictures. So I check my old world and somehow it changed from the top pic to the bottom pic. I decide to use a clean unmodded version of DF, mod it with Orcs and the reaction_standard.txt to match the old world, then load the old with it. It shows up as the top pic.

How did this happen? Would modding away [DEFENDER] from fun creatures cause this to happen?

EDIT: Returned the [DEFENDER] tag to flaming and swimming fun, and the magma pipe is now back in place. Funpit now contains swimming fun. Why does this happen?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:35:04 am by Kaiser Reinhard »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

off hand, I would guess that they type and quantity of fun is genned before the placement of magma pipes, and reducing the variety of fun to a single type may have caused the code that generates the fun to not roll a random number, which would have shifted all later rolls on the RNG to the next place... you'd probably have to ask Toady or someone else intimately familiar with the world gen code or sequence.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

The World Gen RNG pulls numbers from all over the game, changing something as minor as a single irrelevant tag on a single creature can and often will change the world ever so slightly.

Magma features in particular seem to be prone to this.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The World Gen RNG pulls numbers from all over the game, changing something as minor as a single irrelevant tag on a single creature can and often will change the world ever so slightly.

Magma features in particular seem to be prone to this.

The funny thing was that this was all in the exact same world. When I loaded the world with [DEFENDER] on all funstuff, the magma pipe was in it's correct place. Then I removed it from swimmers and flames and loaded the world again, and the magma pipe moved. Then I replaced the tags and suddenly the magma pipe moved back. It wasn't worldgen.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

If i recall embark features are 'generated' when you look at a region tile, rather than trying to generate and store the features for the entire world (which would eat up absurd amounts of memory), so that's why.