Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The default "Gate" area  (Read 779 times)

Jobastion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The default "Gate" area
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:04:00 pm »

Could we manually redefine the "gate" area?  

My dunge...er fortress is built about four to six screens north of where the starting wagons/dwarfs were (to put me closer to the river so they quit walking so far to get a drink).  

Hitting G of course sends me way south of the fort, and more annoyingly, the dwarves think it's a great place to take a break... which is hilarious when large creatures roam the countryside...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: The default "Gate" area
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:04:00 pm »

A corollary to this would be a way to define "safe" areas -- perhaps part of the burrow code -- where dwarves would be allowed to drink.  By default, they would be allowed to drink anywhere.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:15:00 am »

modifying gate sounds like a good idea to me.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

Been awhile since this topic saw the light of day, so I'll add my vote to this one.
Manually definable 'Gate' location, or perhaps defined as the location of the first delving. The Gate should have to be positioned at the cliff face, and can only be redefined in the first X number of days of delving into the new home to reduce the likelyhood of people putting the 'gate' in a blind hole on the far side of the map.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

I have a feeling this is already in the new release in some form, because the maps are no longer similar to each other. Right now, it's simple - the Gate is defined as the exact middle of the exterior wall. When you have a curvy, round mountainside, such a simple definition isn't going to be possible.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

Instead of a gate, what I'd really like to be able to do is set a few hot keys that let me jump all over the fortress instead of slowly scrolling.

Some way to automatically follow a particular dwarf around would be nice too, but hardly necessary.

[ September 13, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

You've got either 8 or 16 (don't remember) hotkeys in the next one, based on the F keys.  Right now you just use them to zoom to locations (and F1 starts as the wagon).  Later on, they could support any number of actions you might want hotkeyed.  There's also the new activity zone setting "meeting area", which fills the role of the current gate location as far as people lounging around goes.  If you don't set one, or a meeting hall from a building, they'll hang out at the wagon.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

Hotkeys! Now that's awesome. And we didn't even have to ask for it.  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.