Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find named monster in abandoned fort  (Read 920 times)

LongVin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't find named monster in abandoned fort
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »

I had a fort in a terrifying landscape which after a few years of fooling around I abandoned(my Dwarves were all going insane) now before I abandoned it I made sure to flood the entire fort to prevent any baddies from trying to claim it.

I then started playing around in Adventurer mode and got a quest to kill a named jaguar in my old fort. Head out there, flip the hidden switch to close the floodgates only problem is the fort is still flooded. My drainage method didn't work. I swim around the fort for awhile looking for the jaguar, go above ground look for him some more, nothing.

I bring my adventurer to town. Retire, and then reclaim the fort. Stop the flooding, abandon. Restart the adventurer and go back to the site with the quest still active...but, I still can't find this damn jaguar.

Any advice?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find named monster in abandoned fort
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:30:51 pm »

Check nearby caves. The only times I've ever encountered a named animal were when I was heading over to fight a semi-megabeast. The first was a wolf, the second a giant lion of some sort. They seem to gravitate towards caves.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:27:46 am »

Maybe it's in stealth mode?

Don't know if this helps, but once I abandoned a fortress with a named giant cave swallow in it and reclaimed it, and though a normal giant cave swallow was haunting the chasm like normal, the named swallow ambushed my dwarves in the legendary dining room.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:29:15 am »

A fire man wiped out my starting seven once after I antagonized him out of his pipe. I reclaimed and he was stealthed inside my fort. This is on d16.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:34:18 am »

He murdered the dwarf that made contact with him, I'm sure.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »

Also of note, often when given quests to kill named animals, they are just wandering in an area of the wilds and you'll likely be ambushed by them.  Probably not the case if this jaguar was in your fort before abandoning, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:17:16 pm »

Have you checked the [Q]uest screen? you can usually select the zoom option to see a line going where you need to be.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:20:46 am »

Might not be the case. I was once given a quest to kill an ancient vampire (Dig Deeper) in some cave. Along the way I stopped to fight some goblins in their fort. When I was done cleaning them out, I went to the south edge of the map and the vampire attacked me.

I assume he was being worshipped by the goblins, but still... he wasn't where he was supposed to be.