Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The progress of the next DF update...  (Read 3561 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The progress of the next DF update...
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2009, 08:08:52 am »

Then maybe you could write a detailed post about armor's effectiveness and explain why everybody here is wrong, instead of just saying "ha, you're all wrong." without any apparent reason ?

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2009, 09:48:35 am »

This current discussion is insanely off topic. Take it elsewhere maybe?
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2009, 05:24:15 pm »

This current discussion is insanely off topic. Take it elsewhere maybe?

It's more mildly off-topic, varying wildly depending upon who is posting.

I'm curious to see what advantages chain mail will have over plate.  Toady mentioned something about adding a tag regarding elasticity.  Seems like chain would stop a powerful piercing attack better than plate, though I'm not sure how often that will come up.  Perhaps mail will guard joints better than plate.

Hopefully it won't still be such a bitch to survive more than a few steps in adventure mode.  Flippin' wolves.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »

Bored to die in adventure mode ? Have you ever tried the Amazing Throwing Cure Premium ! It's really simple !
First, order our fine Super Pebbles Box, filled with 250 first-class granite peebles. Then pick them one by one one your (included) bottomless pockets. When you're done, spend a whole night throwing them at your feet (don't worry, it's safe !). The next morning you will be AWESOMELY POWERFUL !!i!

Disclaimer : May cause tiredness, lag, or plain boredom.

Seriously tough, this is like the only way to survive in Adventurer Mode. If you start without an intensive pebble throwing session, you are likely to be eaten by a grue pack of wolves.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2009, 08:16:00 pm »

Not really. I massacre wolves with untrained adventurers by the dozen.

It's trained opponents and megas that I can't handle.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 08:29:49 pm »

The problem with wolves ins't that they will outright kill any untrained adventurer, its that they usually spawn in packs of 5 or more, which means death to an untrained adventurer. Wolves tend to get lucky throat hits often since they attack togheder rather then just one at a time, which can destroy even a legendary.

You don't need to be a legendary thrower to survive, you just need armor and possibly a shield, but you'll need throwing for the eventual super worldgen legendaries with +100 kills.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 09:08:28 pm »

Then maybe you could write a detailed post about armor's effectiveness and explain why everybody here is wrong, instead of just saying "ha, you're all wrong." without any apparent reason ?

Already done that, right back in my original post.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 02:11:39 am »

I always found that really hardcore to survive in the wilderness without a good old throwing rock session beforehand. Even if the wolves don't kill you, encounter a cougar or an alligator and you're dead.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 02:38:04 am »

I always found that really hardcore to survive in the wilderness without a good old throwing rock session beforehand. Even if the wolves don't kill you, encounter a cougar or an alligator and you're dead.

Cougars are no real threat. It's the damn alligators that are. I think they're a bit bigger than most other ambushers, and that's a big part of their danger.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 07:09:19 am »

The true threat is wolves:
i had gotten bored with the whole 'walk around killing shit' tactic in adv mode, so i went to fortress mode, started a one-square fortress and built an overground house, after which i abandoned, came back as an adventurer, and began killing and taking trophies -predator style. after a major streak of badassery i got ambushed by wolves and conveniently had my throat ripped out in the first attack roll.
Probably coz i committed heresy by not building an altar to Armok to put the rotting heads of my kills on it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 07:12:57 am »

Thank you for giving me my next adventure idea.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:20 am »

no worries, for ultimate fun, build it near a civ to make your rampages more accessible -maybe collect the heads of every mayor in the kingdom
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 07:56:16 am »

What I like doing is playing a villain for my hero to kill. I make an orc adventurer (I modded them to be playable) and go around killing civilians and children, and taking trophies (heads, hands, whatever.) Then I retire him in some goblin fort or other.

Then I create a human or dwarf adventurer, draft some help, and hunt him down.

Also, I'm using Dig Deeper. The slimes are more dangerous than the wolves are, for some reason - if they ambush me, it usually ends with a red wound, if I'm lucky.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]