Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mutants and Masterminds  (Read 1846 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Mutants and Masterminds
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:16:57 pm »

Does anybody else here ever play Mutants and Masterminds? Want to play? I could GM a game of Mutants and Masterminds, taking place in my fictional setting of San Delgado (a Californian city that mirrors New York), or in another city if you'd prefer.

For those uninitiated into M&M, it's a superhero PnP game. You play as a superhero of your own creation, similar to Batman or Superman, and solve crime and nefarious world-destroying plots. Pretty basic stuff. If you don't have any books, I can help guide you along. Just have a superhero idea in mind. Any superpower will do, M&M is extremely flexible. I might have to veto or weaken your power idea if it's too strong, however.

If you want to play, just post up a character sheet as per the example below. We'll go for PL 10. You don't have to be as detailed as I am, I put in a lot of notation for my own purposes. Backstories are encouraged, but not required.

Spoiler: Razzledrazz the Wizard (click to show/hide)
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Mutants and Masterminds
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:34:56 pm »

Damn, this sound really fun, but i almost certainly don't have the time to play it :( , depending on when and how long.

I got a great character concept to: A little girl with a wormhole in her head, giving her some rather non-standard time related abilities.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »

I'd like to join this, but you'll have to walk me through character creation.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:11:04 pm »

I like the idea, I don't know the system but it looks like d20, so I should be familiar with some of the basic mechanics. I am kind of interested in some sort of immortal and insubstantial mountain spirit with cold and wind based powers. Presumably weakened and bound in a physical body, at first...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:31:34 pm »

Someone should play a Dwarf who has the ability to transform into a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_tail
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:12 am »

I'd love to join if you will help with character creation.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »

I can help with character creation. Give me a fairly detailed example of what superpowers you want (you can come up with anything, the M&M corebooks will help with most things), so I can determine balance*. Then, I will guide you through, step by step.

*For example, I played a forum game with some RL friends, and one guy played as a telekinetic ghost. The M&M rules state that insubstantial creatures should have one type of common power descriptor (i.e. magic, fire, electricity) that damages them. He chose magic. Then, he went for the enemy mage with his crippling power at the start of every encounter. So I might veto pure insubstantialability.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

Okay, Grak, I'll bite to see if we can get the game rolling.

I'm thinking of a Jubilee-esque super powered street fighter type.

Skills would relate to her being a freelance detective of some sort.

Power Ideas
-the ability to channel energy into melee strikes
-Street Brawler
-Superhuman reflexes
-Good with revolvers at range
-Can set energy traps?
-Psychomancy-can discern from an object, it's history, things that happened around it, example, I laid my hand on a sword, I could see whoever wielded it and who it killed, if succesful.

Yes, that's not very much to work with lol. Just tell me what more you need.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:03:24 am »

I'm going for a scarred and jaded True Neutral super-soldier who is being a hero largely because the other side is worse.

Powers:
Superhuman speed
Superhuman strength
Superhuman accuracy
Rapid regeneration
Highly resistant to torture
Extremely determined
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 07:36:11 am »

Recovering mt insubstantial form(which would probably be vulnerable to fire, which is available to anyone with a lighter and canned hairspray...) would be a personal quest, as my current form would be somewhat of a sore point, probably reminding me of some sort of depowering incident.

As for specific powers:
 Generation of strong winds over a limited area. Probably not enough to affect weather patterns but large enough that it would be difficult to target an individual.
 Reduction of temperature in an area, no beams or cold breath or anything, stuff just gets colder. Once again it would be easier to chill a room than to freeze an individual.
 Immortality. Don't age, don't eat, don't drink, don't breath(though losing my connection to the environment could be an issue). And if I 'die' I will probably reform over time, more so in cold, windy conditions.

As I say, I was aiming for a mountain spirit, not so much a living, biological entity. The sort of thing that gets angry at mountain climbers and lowers the temperature by a couple of degrees and blasts them with wind for several hours, except in superhero world so more so...
Lets say a wizard drained my power for some reason and I came down from the mountain to reclaim it, but found out that there was more to humanity than irritating trespassers... "So began the adventures of... The Mountain King? Coldilocks? Stormbringer? Ice Scream? Captain Cold? The Chill Factor? Wind Chill? Stormfront? Boris?"
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:54 am »

"So began the adventures of... The Mountain King? Coldilocks? Stormbringer? Ice Scream? Captain Cold? The Chill Factor? Wind Chill? Stormfront? Boris?"

I suggest "Absolute Zero"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

That's REALLY cold.  :)

And BTW I've decided my character name will be "Erin Solaris", which would imply sort of heat based powers. woot!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:49 am »

I am kind of warming up to Ice Scream. It is sort of appropriate and so long as people use some sort of knick name the silliness will wear off...

I mean, cold Ice and Screaming wind, if it can keep a straight face it is just a little bit awesome!
Read the First Post!