Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Table Surfing/The Floor Is Made Of Magma  (Read 1446 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Table Surfing/The Floor Is Made Of Magma
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:56:51 pm »

Well, dwarves can survive for over 150 years with their only hydration coming from alcohol. That would kill an average human inside of 40 years. Clearly, dwarven physiology is different than that of the dwarves. Dwarves may be able to survive the toxic fumes coming from magma. Since the size of a square is left vague, the floors may be several dozen feet thick which would protect you from magma, especially if it's a particularly insular type of stone.

It's also worth noting that while toxic fumes from a volcano are deadly, so is the smoke from an improperly ventilated charcoal forge - such as a forge inside of a mine. Presumably toxic gasses are either something Toady isn't going to worry about or something he'll get around to.

I imagine never, seeing as how magma forges would be impossible by default.  Which would be lame.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 10:08:09 pm »

There's a difference between 'it works this way because effort hasn't been made to make it work correctly' and 'effort has been made to make it work this way'.

By which I mean, convection not killing dwarves in the magma forges isn't a good argument that they should be able to survive a flow by standing on a chair.

Well, having  your dwarves catch fire when standing near magma or in a magma forge would really hinder gameplay. What matters is not realism, but fun.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 02:29:45 pm »

I doubt you actually catch fire, just die from the heat

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

And you'll probably be tasty, too.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 11:00:37 pm »

If built with the right mechanisms or materials, you could build a magma forge that avoids the convection problem entirely, by selectively allowing magma flow and that sort of thing.

Of course, the big problem here is that when you use the heat from magma, and the magma cools, you have friggin' rock. It's not like you're using steam or hot water, where the stuff just flows away after in less energetic state.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:38 am »

If built with the right mechanisms or materials, you could build a magma forge that avoids the convection problem entirely, by selectively allowing magma flow and that sort of thing.

Of course, the big problem here is that when you use the heat from magma, and the magma cools, you have friggin' rock. It's not like you're using steam or hot water, where the stuff just flows away after in less energetic state.
use the magma to boil water, roman bath style.

or roman stew-pot style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 01:05:34 am »

Boiling water reaches 100 degrees Celsius. You think that's hot enough to smelt iron?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:35 am »

There's a difference between 'it works this way because effort hasn't been made to make it work correctly' and 'effort has been made to make it work this way'.

By which I mean, convection not killing dwarves in the magma forges isn't a good argument that they should be able to survive a flow by standing on a chair.

Well, having  your dwarves catch fire when standing near magma or in a magma forge would really hinder gameplay. What matters is not realism, but fun.

I'll call the existing 'if it's in the same square, you die' to be exactly the right amount of abstraction.  Also, you need to check your definition of fun
Pages: 1 [2]