Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest dev update...  (Read 873 times)

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Latest dev update...
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:02 pm »

Someone should visualize this:
We wanted to test a shark vs. whale confrontation, and they just ended up tail slapping each other. Lots of welts all around. I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm guessing the teeth are too small to be registered or something, so the sharks go to their secondary attack, but there are lots of candidates. Various other mistakes have already been fixed, from arena critters all starting off by self-targeting (and succeeding in hitting themselves) to dragons having their sizes rollover to negatives and being treated as formless ghosts as a result.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latest dev update...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:40:31 pm »

How do negative creatures work? Are they just considered the smallest size possible and explode when a tick sneezes at them? Or do they live in an inverted dimension and spaz out when coming into contact with solid matter?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »

Tail-slap fight!  ;D

Though actually I think the self-targeting part is funnier.  Takes a bit of work to hit onesself properly, too.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »

I would have loved to have seen the self targeting thing.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:15 pm »

Urist McDepri facepalms hard
Urist McDepri has struck himself down
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

The formless ghost dragons would make me shit myself. No form, but still firebreath!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

The update says that negative sized creatures a "formless ghosts".  First of all, this means you can't hope to hit them(they have no form), but also, the damage algorithm incorporates creature size...this either makes them godly powerful or incapable of causing harm...hard to say which...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:45 pm »

I wouldn't make too much of the "formless ghost" comment.  I think what Toady was saying is that, with a negative size, the hitting and wounding calculations just can't hit/wound the creature, because it would always return less than zero.  I have more faith in Toady's design ethic than making "ghosts" just creatures with stats jury rigged to short-circuit the combat math.  Although that does raise the question of why Toady would set the math up to allow negative input.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:59 pm »

Someone look at the formulas toady posted and see what happens when size becomes negative?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »

Those formulas no longer apply to the new combat system, at all, as far as I'm aware.