Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 12z-lvl fall surviving dwarf  (Read 922 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
12z-lvl fall surviving dwarf
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:13 am »

I just discovered that a dwarf can survive a high fall if he falls on another creature. I dug a 12z-levels well, chained an animal at the bottom (a tame deer fawn) and let fall a military, using a grate attached to a lever.
Result: the dwarf and the fawn survived without a scratch nor a wound.

Movie: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1629-freefallsurvivingdwarf
The movie is a bad quality one, because of the tileset. At the end of the movie you'll see the dwarf (in grey) walking away from the fawn (a red square tile, something like this).

I should test this with a gobelin to see if the falling dwarf can hurt one when falling onto it.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: 12z-lvl fall surviving dwarf
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:15:08 am »

This is actually a known behavior. If the tile a creature lands in is occupied by any other creature then neither of them receive damage.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:23:02 am »

That's what I suspected but I didn't find informations on this (I searched this forum and the wiki before creating this topic). Anyway, I'd love to see an elite squad falling some z-lvls on an invader force. It could be FUN, if well timed.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:28:53 am »

Actually that would be an AWESOME way to deploy the defensive garrison. Imagine 15 plate-armored dwarves wielding hammer and shield standing ready in a dark room. The intruder alarm sounds and the floor drops out from under them. They fall 200ft onto a soft bed of fuzzy kittens and then charge the interlopers!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:31:12 am »

Even better, give the dwarves individual shafts with a single kitten at the bottom tied up. Put a door at the bottom which is not pet-passable so the kitten can't leave or wander. Dwarven paratroopers FTW

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:04:10 am »

I believe somone actually did build the kitten-drop-pod.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:11 am »

yet another great idea to add for my spaceship dwelling robot men
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:55:48 am »

Drop pod legendary marksdwarves would be awesome. I can imagine look of surprise on a goblin's face as 20 stout dwarves appear behind the line of seemingly innocuous fortifications and open fire, emptying quivers in a matter of seconds into the bodies of his friends. I'm officially doing this in my fort.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:13 am »

If only we had a way back up you'd have a dwarven elevator.

Kitten drop pod down water pressure stream up?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:41:21 am »

I've tried to make water go up a pipe through a hole in the top and it doesn't work.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:01 pm »

Please tell me you know where you saw this....I would so love to see that *If i dont just go build my own version first*