Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mandate: Gem window not counted as window  (Read 690 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mandate: Gem window not counted as window
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:27:25 am »

My Count consort has a preference for windows, and mandated the construction of a one. There is no sand on my map, so I made her a gem window, but the mandate remains. Apparently she wants a glass window.

Either gem windows should be counted as a subset of windows, or the preference/mandate should more explicitly specify "glass window".

Furthermore, it's probably an ancient suggestion, but I'd suggest removing glass mandates entirely for now, until sand can be imported or nobles learn to recognize what the fort can produce. It's very frustrating to get mandates that are literally impossible to fulfill. :(
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Mandate: Gem window not counted as window
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:13 am »

Is it a mandate (make N items) or a demand (furniture in room)?

If it's a demand, then you have to actually (b)uild the furniture in the specified room. If you can't build the object (i.e. you don't have one, and you can't make it), just ignore it - she'll be unhappy for a while, but she'll eventually forget it.

If it's a mandate, then you have to make the item at a workshop. If you can't make the object (due to lack of materials), then one of your dwarves will be punished by the justice system when the mandate ends.

Know that nobles with preferences for exotic materials will readily mandate the production of items you are not capable of producing (glass on a map with no sand, crystal glass on a map with no rock crystals, adamantine on a map without any, etc.), so when you do get an impossible mandate, the best solution is to prepare a suicide booth (of your preferred design) for said noble and let him/her operate it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:29:59 am »

My Count consort has a preference for windows, and mandated the construction of a one. There is no sand on my map, so I made her a gem window, but the mandate remains. Apparently she wants a glass window.

Either gem windows should be counted as a subset of windows, or the preference/mandate should more explicitly specify "glass window".

Furthermore, it's probably an ancient suggestion, but I'd suggest removing glass mandates entirely for now, until sand can be imported or nobles learn to recognize what the fort can produce. It's very frustrating to get mandates that are literally impossible to fulfill. :(

This problem, and 50 other permutations thereof, have been reported and acknowledged about 400 thousand times. Think glass mandates are frustrating? Try getting a noble that demands Horn, Ivory, or the dreaded "item in room". In any case, your report hits the forum for 0 damage. There's been a new release in the works for over a year which should either remove or bypass this problem.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »

This problem, and 50 other permutations thereof, have been reported and acknowledged about 400 thousand times.

So I figured, but it's not in the bug list.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:40:06 pm by MMad »
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »

In any case, your report hits the forum for 0 damage.

This attitude is really uncalled for.  You should reconsider your mentality that a bug report is something to be defended against.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »

You still haven't answered my question, though. If it's a mandate, then gem windows wouldn't count because they're buildings, not items.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:46:39 pm »

You still haven't answered my question, though. If it's a mandate, then gem windows wouldn't count because they're buildings, not items.

It was a mandate. "Construct window (1/1)". So yeah, probably working as intended, but it's still an issue because of the naming ambiguity. Which was what I had a problem with. :)

Come to think of it, maybe it'd make more sense to have gem setters construct gem windows in gem workshops, then build them, same as with glass windows.