Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Cinema  (Read 612 times)

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
Dwarven Cinema
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:44:00 am »

I did a quick search on "cinema" and "movies", and nothing related came up, so here is my post:

This game keeps amazing me with its potential for different playing styles, and player self-imposed impediments/goals.

After some early technology problems, the dwarves in Mosusthocit "Roomspikes" fineally enjoy their own Dwarven Cinema.
With dwarven shrinks not yet having come up with the concept of subliminal messages, and the actual movie not doing much but create an urge to work the pick-axe, efficiency in Roomspikes has reached new heights.

The quite primitive movie itself consists of three images constantly flashing an animation of a picking axe, but the dwarves fill the theatre every night.

code:

First image
###########
#....#....#
#CSowwwoSC#
#C.worow.C#
#C.ooroo.C#
#C.ooroo.C#
#CSoooooSC#
#.........#
#####D#####

Second image
###########
#....#....#
#CSowwooSC#
#C.ooowo.C#
#C.oorow.C#
#C.oroow.C#
#CSooooeSC#
#.........#
#####D#####

Third image
###########
#....#....#
#CSowwwoSC#
#C.worow.C#
#C.ooroo.C#
#C.ooroo.C#
#CSoooocSC#
#.........#
#####D#####

Key:
o - green glass cut gem
r - red coloured gem
w - white coloured gem
c - clear glass gem
e - emerald gem

D - door
S - statue
C - chair
# - wall
. - floor

By building ordered gem windows, with different coloured gems, one can time the flashing to produce images.

Why do I put this in the Suggestions Forum?
- it would be sweet if one were able to put more than 3 gems into a window (with a corresponding longer flashing period) the same way one can put many weapons (how many is the maximum?) into a weapons trap. Thus allowing for longer movies.
- also more gems colours would increase the movie makers freedom (I have never really gotten the hang of modding things in the game, partly because I am lazy, partly because I seem to do something wrong, which interrupts world generation?)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Cinema
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:23:00 am »

Dwarven... cinema? This... this is madness! Brilliant madness!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

I never made a window with more than one kind of gem.  Maybe I should try it.

McDaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

This is genius.
Albeit genius as in -apply-electrodes-and-wait-for-lightning-strike-to-obliterate-lab sort of genius, but still genius. Quarry leaf popcorn, anybody? I GOTS to try this (Maybe a Orwellian style Two Minute Hate with a stomping demonic elephant or tree hugging elf?(Yes, I do run a madman dictatorship in my forts, I mean, srsly liek, the first thing I build is a watery execution chamber, later bolt on a magma death cell, then mix the two in a third room, which is a steam torture chamber, where the torturing dorf gets to pull the lever from the safety of some clear windows and the torturee gets armor so he doesn't scald horribly but still suffers, rendering the treatment repeatable.))

"Do you confess NOW?"

[ May 28, 2007: Message edited by: McDaz ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:04:00 am »

Brillant!

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDaz:
<STRONG>then mix the two in a third room, which is a steam torture chamber, where the torturing dorf gets to pull the lever from the safety of some clear windows and the torturee gets armor so he doesn't scald horribly but still suffers, rendering the treatment repeatable.))
[ May 28, 2007: Message edited by: McDaz ]</STRONG>

You have re-invented the Finnish Sauna!

McDaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jusal:
<STRONG>

You have re-invented the Finnish Sauna!</STRONG>

I heard that saunas have been built in dwarf forts.. How, with all the horrible or at least pathetically mild injuries due to steam? [/offtopic]

Anyway, I for one would like moar colours and ores in windows. Gigantic kaleidoscope? Yeah why not. Inspirational army posters with a few colours in? Go ahead! Locking a dorf in the room of many colours until he finally goes insane from sheer confusion? Sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: Arg, typos.

[ May 29, 2007: Message edited by: McDaz ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

i had another idea along these lines.  the gem-window neon-sign thing has been floating about for a while, but im excited that someone has finally done it.

hows this, though:

people are starting to make lots of those bridge-mosaic images in the larger and richer forts.  with some levers, you can make those into two-frame animations.  but its also completely customizeable, so you can toggle different parts of the image with different levers.

and since you can link one bridge to multiple levers, you could have one large marquee that says different things depending on which lever you pulled!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

That would be insane.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gauteamus:
- also more gems colours would increase the movie makers freedom (I have never really gotten the hang of modding things in the game, partly because I am lazy, partly because I seem to do something wrong, which interrupts world generation?)

There'll be +70 new gems in the next version... All the colors you may ever want, but i'm sure the display sticks to it's basic 16.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"