Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf wearing same shoe on left foot AND on right hand  (Read 707 times)

julan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
dwarf wearing same shoe on left foot AND on right hand
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »

The subject says it. My crossbow dwarf CBW11 aka Udarmorul "Rainypages" is wearing one and the same X(naked mole dog leather shoe)X on her right foot AND on her left hand. When I set the  shoe on her left hand to "dump" or "forbid", the shoe on her right foot always follows these changes, so it's obviously one and the same item.

This issue isn't resolved on save/exit and restart. Dumping the item or forbidding/unforbidding it doesn't help either.  It seems she's insisting on running around with her right hand stuffed tightly into her left boot. Saved files available if need be.

Version  0.28.181.40d11 on OpenSuse 11.1.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf wearing same shoe on left foot AND on right hand
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:34:48 pm »

The save would probably be helpful, although Toady won't get to look at it for a while.  You can host the file wherever, but the optimal place is the DF File Depot.

Was she a former wrestler?  Are you on a reclaimed fortress?

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:03 am »

a dwarf 'wearing' an non-hand object on a hand means that he is holding it. this happens when wrestlers rip clothes from each other in combat. happens in sparring all the time.
if a dwarf loses its weapon, it might also use wrestling moves like this.

there should be no way for a dwarf to attack himself, to be able to grab his own shoe.
wrestlers eventually drop held items, and they are later put to use and recycled by the fortress. i dont think a dwarf can 'steal' an item and then transfer it from the hand to the foot directly without dropping it as an intermediate step. still if he could, that would be one explaination, barring an outright error.
even if a dwarf could put a grasped shoe on the foot and release it properly with the hand, the dwarf would have had to grasp an enemy's shoe with both hands before securing it and due to a programming oversight only release it with ONE of the graspers for this to occur.
this would be a rare occurence.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

julan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:24 pm »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I took a few days off.

@Footkerchief: Yes, like all my dwarves she was a champion wrestler before I had her learn to use the crossbow. No, it's not a reclaimed fortress. Version 40d11, the mayday graphics and some adjustments in init.txt (mainly screen size, use mayday graphics, no weather and so on).

Forgot to mention: I'm uploading region1.zip to the DF File Depot now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:27:35 pm by julan »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »

The subject says it. My crossbow dwarf CBW11 aka Udarmorul "Rainypages" is wearing one and the same X(naked mole dog leather shoe)X on her right foot AND on her left hand. When I set the  shoe on her left hand to "dump" or "forbid", the shoe on her right foot always follows these changes, so it's obviously one and the same item.

This issue isn't resolved on save/exit and restart. Dumping the item or forbidding/unforbidding it doesn't help either.  It seems she's insisting on running around with her right hand stuffed tightly into her left boot. Saved files available if need be.

Version  0.28.181.40d11 on OpenSuse 11.1.
She must be playing a dwarven version of "Twister"