Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Darkfall. Ugh.  (Read 3637 times)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Darkfall. Ugh.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »

I wouldn't go that far. I quite enjoy FPS games and Darkfall made me cringe.

Is a third person hack & slash.

With emphasis of grinding up some obscure skill until it's maxed out and make you virtually invincible when combined with bunnyhop macros. (Two of them picked us off one by one by jumping around like dolphins in a nearby lake in full plate freakin armour.)

Bow and arrow you say? Hell if I know, I never picked up a set because arrows are effing expensive. (Tabula Rasa syndrome. Machine guns and flamethrowers were uneconomical due to their spammy nature. So people opted for rifles.)

But Cajoes you horribly poorly named apparation, magic is in FPS mode as well! Well sonny Jim, the idea of a fast paced twitch based action game is that things happen. Quickly. Daddy newb mage simply can't stand around (do note, you have to stand absolutely still like a free-kill-lemon) for three seconds, THEN and only then is your magical might unleashed in the enemy's general direction, as it was three seconds ago. Unless you are extremely skilled at predicting a moving target's path, or just ran into a extremely clumsy person, or someone who is afk-autorunning, or the server hiccups (which it will), or you are using a AOE nuke which is used to level tennis-fields at a time, (which reminds me of the proxie missile spam of old-school Giants: Citizen Kabuto online play) you simply won't hit the bastard.

On top of that hazzle, you have to grind your newbie magics up to become eligable to anything more advanced than the most unsatisfying magic missile I've ever seen in my career as a DnD mage.

Spells are (at minimum) 100 gold. Each.

More advanced spells require reagents.

Reagents have to be bought (10gold, give or take) or grinded.

Oh and full loot. Not that anyone HAS any loot. Or carries it into battle. (Or can effing afford it. Just a set of peasant garb that offers no protection is 2 hours of mindless, boring, horrible, grinding, right there.)

Imagine a particularily bad Gor novel.

Remove the misogony and the underdressed female folks.

Now make a MMO out of it.

That's Darkfall right there.

So while Eurogamers review might have been a bit biased I can safely say this. It's hard to enjoy darkfall, - I quite enjoyed the challenging NPC mobs at first. I even got to endure the final weeks of Something Awful's latest dickwaving campaign against... god only knows what, e-drama or something. And found myself without a place to call home. Of course those had been pretty horrible days, nothing to do but grind, grind more, get ganked by someone who leaves his computer on overnight on a regular basis, take up a slot on the respawn stone and generally being completely useless in combat beyond "ablative meaty armor".

Long story short, ganked all the way back to newbie town C, enjoyed a few hours of mindless grinding on some semi-killable undead mobs. Lost all my hard-earned tetanus inducing gear to a grief-squad passing through. Whom I can only assume ate it for the lulz. (*Gag*)

By then the double sinus infection that was clouding my senses and causing hallucinations finally cleared and I could see Darkfall for what it was. A fucking, god damn, horrible, poorly concieved, even worse implemented, fucking, paid, BETA.

So I left the last of my stolen armor with my "guild" told them I would miss their antisocial bullshit. And got a heartwarming "fuck you" in return... Which I can only assume is the game-lore version of Fare thee well. So, allright then.

Fuck you Darkfall, and good luckburn in hell you raging shitfest. o7
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:27:05 am by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 2 [3]