Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Father christmas?  (Read 981 times)

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Father christmas?
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:42:13 pm »

How about add an annual npc called father christmas who would visit your fort once every christmas and give children npcs presents like puzzleboxes, flutes, toys etc? Giving them happy thought.

If you managed to trap him and butcher him you could make valuable father christmas bone artifacts, but you woudn't get new one  ;D
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Father christmas?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »

It would be nice if we had more NPC's based on dwarf holidays, but a Father Christmas NPC would be a very bad idea.

However, if world gen created certain customs and holidays that would then show up in behaviors and art. While it would be irritating if dwarves had hundreds of traditions they were doing all the time, a few traditions that dwarves pursue in their break time would be fun.

"This is a masterful engraving of Father Urist by Urist McEngraver. Father Urist is striking down a goblin snatcher and handing a bag to a child. The artwork relates to the dwarven celebration of Dwarfmas, which commemorates when the high priest Father Urist wrapped golden toys in the bags of dead goblin snatchers and gave them to poor children in the barracks in year 26."
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »

I think it'd make a good Easter egg. I would set it so he only comes after the dwarf economy kicks in and gives trade goods to the children, so you wouldn't be able to hoard father christmas's goods to sell for a new set of battle axes. Also he could act as a liason and ask you what you want for christmas.

But that would get annoying after 10 winters.

Grendus' idea would probably be better for gameplay and realism.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:42:56 pm by Malrin »

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:13:33 pm »

I don't see the point of adding specific deities and whatnot (like "oh! I know! let's have a god incarnate as a human and sacrifice himself for our sins!") either way. And I honestly see no reason to add Santa Claus, as he is a relatively modern invention and has no place in the DF world, more than Winnie the Pooh.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:11 pm »

Yeah, too much problems with trying to incorperate a western human economic/religious figure and holiday into the game.

Better to let the RNG handle it.  Priests, saints, holidays, etc.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »

And I honestly see no reason to add Santa Claus, as he is a relatively modern invention and has no place in the DF world, more than Winnie the Pooh.
Winnie the Pooh would probably end up butchered and turned into trade goods during the first few seconds of Worldgen.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:49:48 pm »

Strange suggestion...Santa is a moder figure, so, it will not fit in the game.

P.S. : In brazil Santa Claus is called Dad Noel(Papai Noel in portuguese ^^)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »

Dood, if there was a father christmas, I'd make sure all my dwarves were naughty so I could get bags of coal.  That would be awesome.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:08:39 pm »

Yeah there's no reason to add specific real world characters when the game is centered around procedurally generated fantasy ones.