Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C++ Ascii graphics tutorial?  (Read 3575 times)

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
C++ Ascii graphics tutorial?
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:12:06 am »

I'm lookin' into creating my own ASCII game, and I would like know how to make some ASCII graphics.  I'm not really a noob at C++ but i'm not really that experienced either, I've got around 3 semesters of C++ coursework under my belt, but i"ve never done anything too graphics intensive.  So something for beginners would be nice.  From waht i"ve seen so far a tutorial on something like Conio.h and it's relevant functions might be a good starting point, but I'm interested in anything you have to say on the subject.  Anyone know where I could find a tutorial for something like that?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: C++ Ascii graphics tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:48:27 am »

Sounds like you may want to look into a library designed specifically for terminal window-type applications. Try looking up either the curses library or the awesome libtcod

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:51:46 am »

Do you happen to have a good link for the use of those libraries?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »

I wonder where on earth someone would find a helpful thread with many convenient tutorials and libraries linked.

It is a mystery.

:-*
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:56:52 pm »

I wonder where on earth someone would find a helpful thread with many convenient tutorials and libraries linked.

It is a mystery.

:-*

As it turns out I have seen your thread, the Roguelike development thing.  However, I was hoping to ask a more specific question.  I looked at several of the links in your thread, but none of them were quite my cup of tea, though there were a few that were very helpful. :)

Just figured I'd ask in my own thread on the off chance that someone has something useful to say, otherwise I'll just go back to using your thread and google. lol.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:33:51 am »

I'm using a wrapper of Conio.h for python and I find it pretty nice.  Now, I'm not sure how exactly the C version will work, but there were some problems with using extended ASCII, aka CP437, characters with one function that I rectified using a different function my version offered, but I have a feeling Conio.h would probably work far better.  Documentation really ought to be about all you'd need if you have some knowledge of C++.  Here's an implementation for MinGW and/or Dev-C++: http://conio.sourceforge.net/