Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Creation: God Activity Slider  (Read 1087 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Creation: God Activity Slider
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:58 pm »

So I am making this suggestion LONG before it ever becomes relevant.

Basically before World Generation you should be able to chose how active the gods are. This isn't a setting to determine how many gods there should be however.

If you put it at maximum then the gods will perform miracles rather frequently and stopping a nation is also like stopping their patron diety at well.

If you put it a nothing then all gods will effectively be false gods in the sense that they won't act upon the world.

Along with this it determines the sensativity of what gets into legends. Small boons won't get into legends if the gods are creating megabeasts every year or so.

If Toady ever adds a "God Mode" then the activity rating should determine how easy it is to act upon the world.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Creation: God Activity Slider
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:39:19 pm »

I likey...

Actually I see world-gen params being a giant tree-view structure, with 'metaphysics' as a super-catagory

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:07:16 pm »

God slider- Max
"Hey Ugil, meet my new friend 'MercyBlight the Eater of Love'. He's a firefly god."
God slider- Min
"You idiot, you believe in a god?! BWAAHAHAHA! You are the most retarded guy I've ever met! Truly, you must be a sheep!"

I likey. This could work well. Although I would prefer a rather large scale for this like temperature. Raise go activity to the point where they might as well be normal people. Lower it to the point where the world isn't even genned.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:30 pm »

Lower it to the point where the world isn't even genned.
Armok cancels create world: interrupted by God Activity Slider

I support this idea.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »

I like it, though I agree that it shouldn't just be "low med high" like most other stuff. A large scale (up to 10 or so) that could cause things ranging from soviet states to Black and White esque battles where gods take to the field with their soldiers (and yes, I know it was really the creature who took to the field, but if they were in your influence you could work miracles there... man that was an awesome game).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:11:32 pm »

Hmm.  I'd rather see a variance in gods' participation in the world, so that some gods are more active than others.  Coupled with some other variables like what they do and how potent they are, this could lead to interesting distinctions like gods that you always see flitting around but don't do much, and gods who usually stay aloof but are extremely helpful when they decide to show up, in the same world.

To that end, instead of a slider that determines the activity of all deities, but make each deity's activity a numerical value randomly assigned to them during worldgen, which you can set the min and the max of as parameters.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:01 pm »

To that end, instead of a slider that determines the activity of all deities, but make each deity's activity a numerical value randomly assigned to them during worldgen, which you can set the min and the max of as parameters.
I like this idea best.  The deities won't be uniform, but we'll have control over it.  Sounds like a good combination.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »

Hmm.  I'd rather see a variance in gods' participation in the world, so that some gods are more active than others.  Coupled with some other variables like what they do and how potent they are, this could lead to interesting distinctions like gods that you always see flitting around but don't do much, and gods who usually stay aloof but are extremely helpful when they decide to show up, in the same world.

I'd like a combination, actually. The higher the "god activity" is set, the greater the range of meddling the gods will do. However, individual gods may have different preferences as to what they want to do, whether they like to practically live in a fortress or only show up to guide history when it needs a change.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:54:21 pm »

Won't an adventurer go kill them and use their body as a weapon if they walk around on the mortal plane?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:11 am »

Won't an adventurer go kill them and use their body as a weapon if they walk around on the mortal plane?
I foresee many an artifact made from the skin of a baboon god.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 02:04:11 am »

probably the best way to go about. i like the idea alot!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:45:15 am »

I'm envisioning them as being far stronger than the current megabeasts and demons so yes, while an adventurer might be able to kill them, it would be an adventurer on the level of Morul or Captain Ironblood required to even attempt the battle.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:23:17 am »

I'm envisioning them as being far stronger than the current megabeasts and demons so yes, while an adventurer might be able to kill them, it would be an adventurer on the level of Morul or Captain Ironblood required to even attempt the battle.

Gods walking the earth would be intense, like a 9 or 10 on the God activity slider scale.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."