Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army screen - Equipments & Equipping the dwarves  (Read 559 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Army screen - Equipments & Equipping the dwarves
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:35:00 am »

Well, I think that something must be done with the equipments screen. It is VERY hard to equip the soldiers as it is now. Soldiers are picking up the equipments randomly, regardless of the material & quality. The only way to equip a dwarf now with a proper equipment is. -> Move all the stuff to a room, lock the dwarf in, and let him equip his new armors + weapons there.
This shouldnt work like this.
We should be able to choose any equipment from the list of weapons + armors. That way we could equip all dwarves very easily with whatever we want, without spending lot of minutes to haul the stuff to a room, lock the dwarf in etc.
I think this should have a priority on the dev list, since the current method is very very annoying.
Perhaps in the next version we will have a polished equipment - army screen, afterall the military system will kick in, and from that point the players will surely use much bigger armies, thus an easy and nice equipping method will be a must have.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: Army screen - Equipments & Equipping the dwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »

I agree, and think that this will nearly be mandatory once the army arc is underway. Spending two years trying to set your legion up properly before sending it away is going to get really, really frustrating.

Maehadoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:23:00 am »

Second!
If that is too diffuclt to code in the short term, it should be set up so dwarves always pick up the strongest equipment available.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

I disagree about always picking up the strongest equipment.
I'd want to reserve that for my champions not for my recruits...

Anyway I agree with this suggestion as I suggested it last night   :p

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

I suggested this one a long time ago, but I was thinking there should be a "carry bedrolls" option, and military dwarves will use them while on patrol, finally eliminating the issue of soldiers leaving the battlefield to nap. Now, they will instead nap on the battlefield, where natural selection can take its course.
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

One option might be to allow one to move items into the military dwarfs bedroom just like you build furniture. And the dwarf would preferentially select weapons/armor from there. Perhaps using the least damaging weapons for sparring, but the most damaging ones for combat?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nadaka:
<STRONG>One option might be to allow one to move items into the military dwarfs bedroom just like you build furniture. And the dwarf would preferentially select weapons/armor from there. Perhaps using the least damaging weapons for sparring, but the most damaging ones for combat?</STRONG>

nah that wouldnt be enough. I would like to equip all of my dwarves personally with items what I choose out for them. Like Ive said this will be very important when the military system will be added.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

I agree with this, as it would finally allow you give your fortress and royal gaurd squads uniforms. In fact, while you're on the 'm'ilitary screen, you should be able to set 'u'niform rules for:
- specific dwarves /squads and/or all the dwarves
- weapon /armor /shield skills enabled and /or trained
- skill level
- material type
- quality level

and combinations of those.

Oh, and let the player choose what symbols are embroidered onto clothing. I want all my sewn leather pictures to be swords for my swordsdwarves, and maces for my macedwarves... and a cloak made of dyed green giant cave spider silk with sewn images of dyed red pig tail crossbows for my crossbowdwarves.     :cool:

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"