Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aggregated list of random desires (DF)  (Read 825 times)

XRsyst

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aggregated list of random desires (DF)
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

General Desired Improvements:

User definable # of tiles to show in UI.  Please, for the love of all that is good.

Take advantage of multi core processors.  Path finding algorithms are well suited to being parallelized. (I've got a quad core and my game crawls when I get a lot of dwarves, 6 core processors are only 3 months away and it's only going to get harder to avoid writing code for parallelism)

A programmalbe UI SDK so others can create UIs. This would free you from the burden of building UIs and allow you to focus on stuff you find more interesting.  Basically just a few methods that will give you the contents of a cell are all that're necessary.

CellContent getCellContent(int x, int y, int z)
void setCellAction(int x, int y, int z, Action action)
int[] getDimensions(); (X,Y,Z)

Ideas for fun new ways to kill stuff:

Greek Fire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire
Made at the brewery from dwarven booze of some sort and refined coal, put into barrels.

Can be fired from catapults, explodes and burns on impact. Also need some sort of trap based around this.

Archimedes Mirror:
http://www.math.nyu.edu/~crorres/Archimedes/Mirrors/Tzetzes.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes#Heat_ray

Basically you make a "mirror" from a crystal glass block at the glass kiln, you get several of these mirrors to "point" at a spot they have line of sight to, each mirror increases the amount of energy placed on that spot by a factor of the weather.  You get enough of these you can burn things.  Quality of the mirror increases transmission %, with a masterpiece mirror at 100% transmission.  With a bit of ingenuity a multi stage collector could be made for huge amounts of focused light.  

Electricity
Using mechanical energy (from a water wheel, or a dwarf with the pumping task), transfer that mechanical energy to some kind of dynamo (or some other older style electricity generating device), an ESD (electro static discharge) could be created for things that got too close, shocking them (maybe even death) at least stunning at high levels.  Would only shock those wearing conductive armor.

Magnetism
Can create an electro magnet (see above for electricity), could do comical things to creatures wearing magnetic affecting armor. You could lift them up, drop them, perhaps even crush their armor around them.  Or perhaps pull their equipment off of their bodies.  Or someone attempting to shoot metal arrows through a gap that is magnetized would find their arrows diverted.

General UI Improvements:

• In the (d)esignate UI section, have the first action be "selection", where you would select an area just like you would for mining.  Then once your selection is made, you would apply an action to each square of the section.  That action could be to dig, stairs... all of the usual stuff.  But it would also allow for easily doing stuff like marking everything in a selection for forbidding or dumping.  

• A better way to do construction, more like how you build bridges rather than the current behavior.  Also, maybe a root level (next to designation) selection of "construction".  

• On the stocks screen a way to do item selection by name similar to what you can do at the trade depot.  Would make it much easier for tracking down individual items.
  • Also on on the stocks screen the ability to mark for dumping/melting/forbidding of entire aggregates of items (the first view before you hit tab)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Aggregated list of random desires (DF)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:41:00 am »

I can honestly say everything here has been suggested and discussed before.

Edit:  Not to say they're bad ideas; but many of these are most likely slated to be put in eventually; and some like the better designations have been the subject of weekly threads for months and months.   I just don't see what we're supposed to discuss; which is why I guess near every suggestion thread just becomes people posting "seconded" without adding anything.   Someone will be clever and quote this saying seconded, too.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

quote:
I just don't see what we're supposed to discuss; which is why I guess near every suggestion thread just becomes people posting "seconded" without adding anything. Someone will be clever and quote this saying seconded, too.

Secon- no...no, I can't. Its just too easy.

They are good idea's though (except for the electricity one, I'm not too keen on that).

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

-only shocks those wearing conducive armor
Faradays Cage?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

Would be neat if I could simply magnetize everything in from the "shooting gallery" into the industrial smelter zones.

Goblin hordes. The ore that walks.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by XRsyst:
<STRONG>Take advantage of multi core processors.</STRONG>

Never going to happen.  Toady doesn't want to deal with the issues of multi-threaded applications.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

Nay, he doesn't want to deal with it currently. But sooner or later, DF will be so  processor-eating that the only way for DF to be playable would be through multithreading.

However, what will NEVER be is electricity. Toady clearly stated it several times.
But Greek fire would be fun  :D

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

He really won't do multithreading?  How...  Unfortunate...

That's the 1 of 2 reasons I stop playing this game occasionally.  The other reason being the small viewport.