Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civil War  (Read 1272 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Civil War
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

Not really sure if this should be in modding or here, but here goes...

So I was thinking lately about how a dwarf will get tagged as an enemy of your civilization if it starts tussling with a dwarf who has been zombified via Dwarf Companion or some other program.

But, seeing as it's been a while since I doodled with DC, I've forgotten the exact repercussions of this act (and I don't think I ever tried this particular experiment, either).  Say a dwarf gets tagged as an enemy, and then another dwarf comes along and attacks the tagged dwarf.  Will that new dwarf now be seen as an enemy of his civ, or will he get away with it since he's attacking someone marked as an enemy?

Another question (and probably the most important one) is how will one "enemy" dwarf view another who has been similarly tagged?  Will he be friendly, aggressive, or neutral?

IF a civ dwarf can get away with attacking a tagged dwarf, and IF tagged dwarves will refrain from attacking other tagged dwarves, you now how the recipe for a full-on civil war in your very own fort.

You'll have the established dwarves, able to freely trade with their contacts in the mountainhomes, and then you'll have the rebels, a hand-picked group of dwarves who have passed the induction trial of punching a zombie in the leg.

The two groups will attack (or run away from) each other on sight, allowing you to have your very own little war whenever you like.

You'll most likely have to keep these groups isolated from each other if you want them to hang around for any extended period, as the various jobs will call to any dwarf, rebel or not.  This will lead to far more job cancellations than you'll likely be wanting to deal with.

And, even if the tagged dwarves don't see each other as allies (which is more than likely), you'll still have a fine array of gladiators to pick from.

Anyone willing to test this?  Just see how the zombie-punchers react to each other once they've been tagged as enemies of the state.  We'll figure out what to do with them later.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:36:05 pm »

This reminds me of a bug in Oblivion's radiant AI when the game was in development.

Guard gets hungry, decides to kill a deer for food. Guard becomes a criminal for attacking the innocent animal.
Another guard comes along to fight the now-criminal guard, and gets tagged as a criminal himself for doing so.
This repeats until all the guards are brawling at the edge of town.
Since there are no guards around, the NPCs start looting and the shops are empty by the time the player gets to that town.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »

This reminds me of a bug in Oblivion's radiant AI when the game was in development.

Guard gets hungry, decides to kill a deer for food. Guard becomes a criminal for attacking the innocent animal.
Another guard comes along to fight the now-criminal guard, and gets tagged as a criminal himself for doing so.
Since there are no guards around, the NPCs start looting and the shops are empty by the time the player gets to that town.

Best bug ever. Gotta love it when the AI gets a mind of it's own.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:53:54 am »

I was sad when the AI wasn't really that great.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 02:18:31 pm »

guards will still accidentally hit each other in battle and fight to the death, and sometimes a guard will kill someone due to a script event and get bounty.

As for the civil war, I would love to have that as a feature omg.

can you say berlin wall North/South Korean border?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:01:54 am »

You know, I think Oblivion would've been a hell of a lot cooler if it had shipped with bugs like that.  Kinda makes me wonder how DF will be, once most of our beloved discrepancies have been "fixed".

So is anyone willing to test this thing out?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:57:46 am »

Skynet?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 07:34:05 am »

You know, some bright spark actually named a satellite "skynet". Apparently someone wants to doom us all.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:02:52 pm »

You know, some bright spark actually named a satellite "skynet". Apparently someone wants to doom us all.

Not only did they name it Skynet. It also allows them to control their unmanned weapon drones... Deju Vu anyone?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 07:03:39 pm »

Gentlemen, we are all going to need more explosives.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »

This thread got derailed quickly.

Kagus, may I direct you to the Warriors of Armok Tournament. BloodBeard used what you're describing to get the dwarves to fight in the arena. When they're out of the arena, that's another story. There's an anecdote about the fighters being let loose from their rooms, and general slaughter abounds. That anecdote is here. I'm not sure whether there were sides in the conflict, but it might be an interesting thing to pursue in the name of dwarven science.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »

Skynet?

Well, in this sense, If Skynet gets this bug, all the robots will attack each other, thus saving Humanity the dirty work.