Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d9] Miner won't mine.  (Read 1284 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d9] Miner won't mine.
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:33:26 pm »

I had two legendary Miners. One with maxxed attributes (Ultra-Mighty, Perfectly Agile, Superdwarvenly Tough) and one where only maybe half his stuff was maxxed.

The one with maxxed attributes stopped mining. He was holding a pick, there were plenty of designated, accessable tiles he could go to mine, but his task was listed as 'No Job'. I disabled mining and he dropped the pick; I re-enabled it and he'd pick it back up, then go back to No Job. I turned on Stone Detailing and he went to go smooth over some bedrooms I had, I turned it off and he still refused to dig. His counterpart, the non-maxxed miner was still digging happily away.

He wasn't stuck, he was in my meeting hall. I had him smoothing stone for a while, but the fort Tantrum-spiralled and was lost. Any ideas what could have happened to cause him to lose the will to dig anymore?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [40d9] Miner won't mine.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »

Did he lose access to the area he was supposed to be mining? When he suddenly stopped mining were you doing anything at all related to ramps?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »

Injury perhaps, although he probably wouldn't have equipped the pick if that were the case.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:40:04 am »

He was uninjured, and I had a huge area designated for mining (I was creating a really big tomb complex). He was hanging around the well with 'No Job' and there was a clear path to at least four different designated areas.

Is there any kind of 'cap' to a type of experience? When a miner hits that cap, he stops mining but can still gain EXP from other types?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:50:28 am »

No. While skills and attributes can be maxed out, the dwarf will still work.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:23 am »

Even then, skills and attributes aren't actually maxed out; you can keep gaining them and they'll keep affecting your ability to do a job. There's just steep diminishing returns.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:22:34 pm »

A path that were clear to you might not have been clear to the dwarf. Ramps are notorious for appearing to be passable to newbies while not actually letting things traverse them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:14 pm »

Woo! I found a backup of the save and took a screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were also three other places he could have been mining on the Z level just above. All of which were near 3-tile-wide hallways. I have only one other miner, and he was busy mining out one of the places mentioned just above. So if nothing else, he should have been able to start mining right there on the same screen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:21:29 pm by Khyron »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:15 pm »

How long was he idle for?  Sometimes jobs take a couple seconds to find a worker.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:56 pm »

I gave him about five minutes or so before I just got mad at him and made him start engraving.

And for reference, here's the screen 1 Z-Level up, as well as the labor preferences.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:03:19 pm by Khyron »

M.C.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »

A bit offtopic, but what tileset is that? Me like! :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:04:06 am »

It looks like the Mike Mayday graphics pack.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:06 pm »

Dwarves don't work constantly, especially if they were just working or had their job cancelled.

also, this might be affected by personality traits